Question Speaker suggestions for M6si

TK311

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Hi

Just recently (and unexpectedly) upgraded from a hand-me-down MF Elektra E11 to a M6si and boy is it a huge leap. The speakers I have are an older pair of B&W DM603 S2 which I believe are mid-90s. Although they sound great, I cant help but feel like there must be some floor speakers out there that will truly shine with the m6si. I currently mainly stream Tidal through a Cambridge Audio DacMagic and vinyl now and again.

As i cant really take home/rent speakers to test out on the m6si, any upgrade suggestions would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Reactions: MUSICRAFT

matthewpiano

It would be helpful to understand the ways in which you feel your existing speakers 'sound great', and what you would like to achieve by changing them. The DM603 S2 are clearly good enough to have shown the change resulting from upgrading from the E11 to the M6si, so which aspects of the sound do you feel could be improved further?

TK311

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
It would be helpful to understand the ways in which you feel your existing speakers 'sound great', and what you would like to achieve by changing them. The DM603 S2 are clearly good enough to have shown the change resulting from upgrading from the E11 to the M6si, so which aspects of the sound do you feel could be improved further?

As there isn't any tone adjustment features on the M6si or i dont think any MF amplifier for that matter in my experience, something with a bit more mid clarity. Although i dont have a reference point, I have heard some of the same tracks, albeit using a different source through Beyerdynamic DT990 headphones, and there is definitely some mid detail missing and bass a bit lacking from the DM603's. The M6si sadly doesnt have any sub output so adding a sub isn't on the cards.

I have MF gear, and was pleased with how it sounded with Monitor Audio floorstanders, though I gather that their range isn't that consistent. The sound in conjunction with Spendor floorstanders is wonderful.

I've visited a hi-fi store and heard some Monitor Audio Bronze 5's using the display Yamaha amplifier they had and it did sound great. Definitely in the shortlist. I'll have a look to see if i can find any Spendor speakers and local pricing on those, i didnt see any at the store i went to. Thanks for the suggestions!

matthewpiano

Spendor is a good call if you are seeking balance and clarity, though they are quite different to most other speakers so I'd advised you to listen before you buy. I had some little A1s and, whilst I greatly admire many things about them, I didn't find them particularly involving and ended up selling them.

The clarity of B&Ws has improved over the years and in that respect you may find the current 600-series range offers more, though they are also more forward so again I would advise listening.

Monitor Audio strike a balance somewhere between the two IME, but if you can I'd set your sights higher than Bronze with that amp. The Silver range would be worth a look.

Reactions: TK311

TK311

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Spendor is a good call if you are seeking balance and clarity, though they are quite different to most other speakers so I'd advised you to listen before you buy. I had some little A1s and, whilst I greatly admire many things about them, I didn't find them particularly involving and ended up selling them.

The clarity of B&Ws has improved over the years and in that respect you may find the current 600-series range offers more, though they are also more forward so again I would advise listening.

Monitor Audio strike a balance somewhere between the two IME, but if you can I'd set your sights higher than Bronze with that amp. The Silver range would be worth a look.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll try the B&W 600 series and the Monitor Audio silvers. After looking around local prices for Spendor are just slightly outside the wallet comfort zone sadly.

Interesting, as the D7s are massively engaging - lively yet refined, and it's really easy to get lost in what you are listening to.

rainsoothe

If you have the budget, look at Russell K 120 and Revel Performa F208 or 206 (even used). Or you could keep it simple with B&W 603 s2 anniversary and save up for a better source - something like the Lindemann Limetree Network streamer, for example, or a Denafrips Pontus or Ares 2 DAC.

matthewpiano

Interesting, as the D7s are massively engaging - lively yet refined, and it's really easy to get lost in what you are listening to.

The D7s are very different speakers to the A1s, and your amplification is rather more capable than the Rega and Roksan amplifiers I tried with them, so I'm not surprised there's a difference in our experience. Glad you are getting so much out of your Spendors.

Reactions: 12th Monkey

Simon 13th note

BANNED
Jul 27, 2020
Visit site
Klipsch speakers were being used with that MF amp at the Bristol hifi show and sounded good, but then Im sure lots will.

You say that you can't demo at home. Dealers will be more than happy to loan sets out, or should do, and if you can't do so then contact the manufacturer would be my advice. If the dealer insists on buying first then if you buy online you have 14 days cancellation (with a refund) under distance selling (UK and Europe), they can't charge restocking fees of returned stock (although lots of dealers try). They should also pay P&P back too. So all this gives the option of trying at home anyway and as speakers are so room dependent, it would be wise to make it a must.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts