Speaker Suggestions for a Friend Please

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone,

A friend of mine has got a Denon PMA300V amplifier (mid 80's model) and a matching Denon CD player and wants to set these up in his new flat. I've tried the Amp and to me it sounded really good, nice punchy bass(probably better than my Marantz) and good mid range and treble, all that after sitting dormant for about 5 years in a box.

The amp is rated at 60w/ch if anyone finds that information useful when making a recommendation.

He needs speakers, stands, and all the cables. Budget for the lot is £300 and second hand stuff is an option.

He likes a strong (but not bloated/overpowering) bass but I'm unsure of his tastes in music. Probably a warmer sound is preferred over something clinical.

I'm considering selling him my Soundstyle Z2s as I'm looking to upgrade them to Super Dreadnought/HMS1.

What would you guys recommend speakers and cable wise?

Thanks

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Hmmm 2nd hand M/A RS1's or new BR2's would do very well but so would a good set of B&W 602 S3's would work very well also

As for speaker cable; the Chord Carnival Silverscreen or QED Silver Anniversary XT would be spor on
emotion-1.gif

Stands; you've covered it really
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Thanks Dan,

I'd thought of the B&Ws but had forgotten about Monitor Audio, so thanks and will have a scout on ebay to see what they go for. Considering I can get the Wharfedale 10.1s for £170 new, I think they are an option too, though perhaps they aren't as good as your suggestions?

I had thought the same re the speaker cable, can often find some good deals for Chord on ebay.

Regards interconnects, I guess the Crimson ones like I have would be perfectly suitable too?

Thanks once again

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
jammers999:
Thanks Dan,

I'd thought of the B&Ws but had forgotten about Monitor Audio, so thanks and will have a scout on ebay to see what they go for. Considering I can get the Wharfedale 10.1s for £170 new, I think they are an option too, though perhaps they aren't as good as your suggestions?

I had thought the same re the speaker cable, can often find some good deals for Chord on ebay.

Regards interconnects, I guess the Crimson ones like I have would be perfectly suitable too?

Thanks once again

Yup; Chord Crimson would be perfect. No need to spend more than that really
emotion-1.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts