Speaker stand and placement

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a pair of Audio Pro Level 03 bookshelf speakers and have them placed on a low-rise Ikea TV bench. I am considering raising the speakers to the recommended sitting height of 24" which means I'll need to get a pair of speaker stands which are 9" high (approximately 228mm) since the TV bench is only 15" in height (381mm).

I have looked around but can't find a pair of stands which meets my requirement, therefore I am contemplating to custom make a pair of stands and place them on top of my TV bench. Since I like the clean minimalist look, I am contemplating making the stands from clear acrylic material. Base and top plate thickness approximately 12-15mm thick.

My concerns are (1) is acrylic the best material for this pair of custom built stands; if not what other material can be used to give a minimalist look? (Note: I really like the Quadraspire acrylic stands. (2) should I place the stands on top of my TV bench? (Note: my local dealer has suggested that I trade-in my existing speakers for a pair of standmount)

Your suggestions or advice are most welcomed.

Thanks.

Charles

idc

Reputedly Ivor Tiefenbrun the founder of Linn used to demo equipment on Ikea tables because he was not convinced about the importance of stands and supports to the sound of a system. I am, however very convinced. The main aim should be to limit any vibrations. If you can make acrylic stands, go for it. (If you can photo and explain the process and post it on the My systems part of the forum. Posts like that are very popular!) So long as the stands are as solid as you can make them, they should sound great. I certainly would not put them on a tv bench as you will lose rigidity. Other tips posted on this forum that relate to speakers, and they worked for me as well, were using philips screws screwed into the floorboards and resting spiked speakerstands on them and using blue tac between speaker and stand.

A

Anonymous

I have a question as well.

I have carpet in my lounge. Would there be any sound improvement through adding marble plinths/Tesco chopping boards for the spikes to sit on?

idc

Momo72, it depends on how thick your carpet is and how heavy the plinth is. If you have deep pile and put a chopping board on it, it probably will rock about. But put a paving slab on a thin carpet with no underlay under and it will provide a solid base. But you also have to make sure it is level.

If you have carpet the best way to keep a stand stable is to have spikes and shove them through until they rest on the floorboards or whatever is under the carpet. But with that technique it can be difficult to get the stand level, hence solutions such as plinths and screws through into the floorboards. It is all about getting the stand level and it not rocking, even slightly.

P.S - try blu tack between speaker and stand. It is solid, reduces vibrations and the bit of play in the blu tack helps to get the speaker perfectly level.

A

Anonymous

Thanks idc.

I have done the blue tack thing already. I'm going to keep an eye out for marble plinths, but first I will check that the floor is level-ish.

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
momo72:
Thanks idc.

I have done the blue tack thing already. I'm going to keep an eye out for marble plinths, but first I will check that the floor is level-ish.

Tesco's Finest Marble Chopping Boards £10 a pop.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts