Speaker sets £1000 or less

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello, I have just got the best part of my system decided on. - Panasonic 42pz70 - PS3 - Onkyo TX-SR605 The only thing I have left to decide are the speakers.... This is my first forray (is that spelt correctly?) into home cinema with all of the above being my first purchase of their type.... My question is simple tannoy mercury f1 customs or KEF KHT3005SE? My budget (£1000) is just for the speakers. I've put more cash aside for cables. I'm a bit confused, by the price tags mostly. I would have thought the larger Tannoys would be the better performers and more expensive (excuse my ignorance) but the higher price of the Kef's has me thinking they are the more premium product. Which of these 2 (or others I have not considered) will give me the better all round sound Mostly movie viewing and gaming but will be used for music too Please help

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Well, both the Tannoy and KEF speaker packages are excellent, and both won Awards from us in 2007, so the final choice comes down to personal preference.

The KEFs are obviously designed as more of a style-oriented package than the more conventional Tannoys. Stylish sub/sat combinations are sometimes a bit of a compromise in performance terms, but that's not the case with the KEFs, which deliver highly detailed soundstaging, splendid refinement (even at high volumes) and a big dose of fun. That's why we made them our Style Speaker package Product of the Year.

The Tannoys create an equally engaging and enveloping sound, and have power and poise aplenty. Either set-up will work wonderfully with your Onkyo receiver, so I'd say try and audition both. In the end, it may come down to how much you're concerned about looks, and which package will best integrate with your listening room.

A

Anonymous

Wow, thanks a lot for the response. Another thought enetered my mind. Looking at the Kef's I notice that the satellites have little stands built on. Will this make putting them on taller stands difficult/pointless.

The reason I ask is that I don't have shelves or the like to put them on so I would need to buy stands which I'm thinking would be better suited to the tannoy setup.

A

Anonymous

Hi J_Dawg, thats the exact set up I am looking to purchase. Would be interested to know where you are getting the package from. I will probably purchase the Kefs as they are small enough to fit onto the AV stand I have seen for the TV.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
[quote user="J_Dawg"]Looking at the Kef's I notice that the satellites have little stands built on. Will this make putting them on taller stands difficult/pointless[/quote]

No, it certainly wouldn't be pointless, in fact it's what we'd recommend. I think the KEFs are also available with wall-mounting brackets, which is the other option if you don't want to buy stands. Hope that helps.

A

Anonymous

Rakesh: Haven't really decided where yet, although if I can and the price is competitive (which it usual is) there's a small local electrical shop near me that I'd prefer to buy from (help the local community and all) but we'll see.

Andy: thanks again. I'd prefer to have stands - any recommendations for the kefs and the tannoys?

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Our Best Buy budget speaker stands are the Soundstyle Z2 (£60), which would be ideal for the Tannoys. It's possible KEF might make their own floorstand for the KHT3005SE speakers, so I'd check with them (01622 672261).

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
I have the 3005SE's and they're a great speaker package. Kef do make specific stands for them. You can see them here:
http://whathifi.com/forums/p/433/27419.aspx#27419

Recommended for all the reasons that Andy gave.

A

Anonymous

Just had a look at a couple of websites and they do indeed do a floor stand for the Kefs (HTS3001) at about 130 quid a pair. A bit pricey in my mind, especially once I've bought cable too. This may swing my decision to the Tannoys.

They look like the only stand option for the Kefs and if the Tannoy's performance is every bit as good then the cost of the extras may just swing it for me. I shall audition them both still.

Thanks again

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts