Speaker recommendations please

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am looking to invest in a decent pair of speakers (to partner with my ARCAM amp)? They must be • sonically excellent • wall-mounted • for a medium to large-sized room • suited for electronic music My price limit is approximately £1000 From my own research, can you comment on: PMC DB1i / TB2i ATC SCM11 Dynaudio Excite 12 or 2/7 Many thanks, Simon

A

Anonymous

I have an Arcam A85 and P85

ATC SCM11 - will my A85 be powerful enough to listen to music at lower volumes?

PMC and Dynaudio - if wall mounted will the rear bass ports mean these are a poor choice?

EB2 - availability?

Simon

Trilobyte_simon:

I have an Arcam A85 and P85

ATC SCM11 - will my A85 be powerful enough to listen to music at lower volumes?

PMC and Dynaudio - if wall mounted will the rear bass ports mean these are a poor choice?

EB2 - availability?

Simon

Couple of questions: if it's wall mounted speakers I would probably rule out most of your choices. So is it wall or standmouted?

Your A85/P85 is powerful but unsure whether it'll have the greatest current to drive the ATCs to hear them at their best.

For wall mounted look at dedicated wall speakers. Spendor do/did a range in wall mounted speakers.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I'd avoid Dynaudio and PMC if they're going to be wall mounted as they produce too much bass when near a wall - they like some space to breathe. The SCM7 or SCM11 will work much better close to a wall, but you'll need to track down some hefty wall brackets for SCM11's!

As mentioned, I think the SCM11's would like a little more current than the Arcam's can provide, but it will drive them. They may just sound slightly soft at lower volumes because of this.

I wouldn't recommend buying a rear ported speaker and using the bungs as they tend to rob the speaker of their intended characteristics. Yup, I said characteristics - all speakers have them
emotion-1.gif

datay

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
PMC do make a wall bracket specifically for the DB1i's so they can't be that boomy right up against the wall - but David is of course right that the transmission line has a rear port, so you'd have to test it out in your own home I suppose. No bungs are provided or needed as it is already lined with foam (not the shaving sort).

My DB1i's are on Dreadnoughts 30cm from the rear wall, no problems with too much bass. (The reviewer on techradar, probably hifi choice, said they positioned them 15cm from the wall - pretty close really). I think you might run into trouble if you were wall-mounting them very close to room corners as well. Perhaps a quick email to PMC?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts