Standmount speaker help please!!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All - I have Micromega CD / Unison Research Unico Amp and Transparent cables & Interconnect, and Tailor Made (?) Tube stands. My small room has a tendency to boom due to thin walls. I just can't seem to find a pair of small speakers that both sound great, look tolerable, and don't boom - front ported speakers seem to work best. I have tried so many now I seem to have run out of options - any suggestions please??. In decreasing order of sound quality, I have tried at home: B&W PM1 (superb sound but so ugly I'd be divorced); Mordaunt Short Performance 2 (agan, superb sound but large polished lump of plastic & looks cheap); Monitor Audio PL100 (sounds ok but not £2,600 ok. Shame becuase they look great); PMC DB1i (not bad, but sound like they're trying too hard); Quad 12l2 (Ok, but boom); Quald 21L2 (good, but boom); EB Acoustics EB1 (ok but boom); Harbeth (too aggressive sounding).... Any help appreciated...... I'm looking for the sound of the PM1s or the Performance 2s, and am prepared to pay that price, but with no plastic in sight if possible, and front ported, I think. Thanks in advance!

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
. . . 'Booming room'? . . . how about a bit of wall damping, pictures, hanging rugs . . . how much soft furnishing have you got in the room?

CJSF

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
What about taking the speakers about 1m (3 ft.) out of the corners, and from the backwall ? I think this solves your problem. As about every speaker "booms" the cause will not be the speaker!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Have you thought of Spendor SA1...or something from Harbeth (HLP3ESR or 7ES-3).

Apologies, I missed your comment on Harbeth. The treble on the SA1s is a little rolled off in comparison - they are my favorite small speaker under £2k.

A

Anonymous

Thanks everybody - I do have carpet, soft furnishings, etc, but it's a thin-walled London flat with v.limited space. I didn't mention that I tried the Sonus Faber (albeit not at home - not bad, though sounded a bit inert and the stands wouldn't squeeze into my space) and the Spendor SA1s which were blown away by the B&W PM1s. Will try the Proacs, thanks! If that doesn't work I'll probably try to live with the black or gray plastic Performance 2s as they seemed to sound superb no matter what I threw at them.

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Even if you live in a small room, you could maybe take the speakers a little bit out of the corners and from the backwall. I am listening quite nearfield too. And i'm enjoying!

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I Still suspect the 'thin walls', as the impression given, almost every speaker 'booms', selectively placed wall hangings and/or pictures would be high on my list . . .

CJSF

mcgr23 said:
Hi All - I have Micromega CD / Unison Research Unico Amp and Transparent cables & Interconnect, and Tailor Made (?) Tube stands. My small room has a tendency to boom due to thin walls. I just can't seem to find a pair of small speakers that both sound great, look tolerable, and don't boom - front ported speakers seem to work best. I have tried so many now I seem to have run out of options - any suggestions please??. In decreasing order of sound quality, I have tried at home: B&W PM1 (superb sound but so ugly I'd be divorced); Mordaunt Short Performance 2 (agan, superb sound but large polished lump of plastic & looks cheap); Monitor Audio PL100 (sounds ok but not £2,600 ok. Shame becuase they look great); PMC DB1i (not bad, but sound like they're trying too hard); Quad 12l2 (Ok, but boom); Quald 21L2 (good, but boom); EB Acoustics EB1 (ok but boom); Harbeth (too aggressive sounding).... Any help appreciated...... I'm looking for the sound of the PM1s or the Performance 2s, and am prepared to pay that price, but with no plastic in sight if possible, and front ported, I think. Thanks in advance!

These may fit the bill.

http://www.whathifi.com/review/neat-petite-sx/specs

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts