Speaker position help appreciated please

Tinkstar

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi i have just purchased the yamaha rxv675 and tannoy hts 101 5.1 speaker system, my predicament is where best to place the speakers in my living room, i have read online some help full tips if your room is a perfect square or rectangle, well my room is rectangle however it does not function like these guides tell me it should :wall:

I have tried posting already with a picture but that thread just never seems to make it to the forum so i will try my best to describe it in words first.

In the top left side of the rectangle would be the tv, this faces on an angle, the centre of the tv would face just to the left of the door, this is where the main sofa is poisitioned ( by main i mean the one me and my wife use 100% of the time ) this is a P shaped sofa. in the top right corner sits a corner seat for guests. on the right wall near the door is a radiator, and the top line is where the window is. top right behind the corner sofa is another window.

<- top left top right ->

| |

| |

.......................................Door.........

So i hope that gives you a good visual of the room layout, now i assume putting the sub next to the tv would be ok, with the centre speaker in front of the 50 inch tv? the front speakers been on top of the tv stand either side of the tv?

my main concern is the behind speakers, logically they are meant to be behind ... but that means one speaker would be in the middle of the wall and the wife would kill me if i did that, so would it be ok just to the left of me in the bottom left corner of the room? now i would assume it is not a good idea to have my nice shiney new speaker above a radiator, so was thinking if could go on the left side of the door.

Does this sound like a good plan? could you suggest a better position for all the speakers? i am a complete newbie with these kind of speakers and would like to get the best out of these :)

thank you for all your advice and help :)

Tinkstar

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
trying to get a bit of a drawing for you to make it easier...
l0j9.png

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
The diagram hasn't come out very well but as it happens in a 5.1 configuration the surround speakers are actually supposed to be to the side of the listening position, not behind, don't know if that helps at all.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
No ideals here! If all furniture is 'fixed' then rears would need to be behind & to either side of the setee. Careful setup (distance/volume) is essential but it should work ok.

Tinkstar

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
yea i know its not going to be ideal, and is a case of making the best of what i can do, wife wont let me get rid of a seat and make it a long view from tv on left wall and sofa on the right haha, with regards to set up is this all manual ? i thought the yamaha came with some microphone which should aid in set up? is this just a basic aid or will it make it as good as possible

thank you for your help so far :)

and was i correct in assuming a speaker over a radiator is not a good idea?

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Autosetup is fine but then check measurements manually inc distance, volume, crossover & small/large. Then test with ears!

Radiator? Do u have a choice? Use small amount of insulation under speaker to protect if it gets too warm?

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
If it were me, I think I'd wall mount the surround speakers high up on the side walls, near the corners (on either side of the sofa). The auto set-up should compensate for one speaker being further away than the other. As you've said, the arrangement is a compromise, but the high position of the speakers should make them more discreet (can you chase the cables into the wall?) and make the surround effects more diffuse and effective.

Tinkstar

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Am I correct in assuming the speakers should be around head height when sat down?

The plan was to run the cables up the side off the door and in the corner , and wall mount them. The speaker will be on the left side of the door so it's away from the radiator.

Should i I slightly angle the speakers down? Or should they be straight ish?

Thank you for your help, I'm really excited at plugging them in but all I get to do is plumb the wires in for a few weeks :-( waiting for wall paper to be put up and carpet, but now is the time for cabling :)

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
I'm not sure how big your room is, but if the speakers are quite close to you, I'd mount them high up, angled down so the sound isn't too 'in your face'. It works well for me!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts