Speaker recommendation for small room

etlmdhn

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Just moved the Cyrus kit out of a large bedroom into a room 3m wide by 7m long by 2.4m high. Listening position varies from 2m sitting to 4 m standing whilst in the kitchen cooking. Floorstanding speakers are firing down the long dimension and are 60cm from front and side walls. As these are getting on a bit I thought it might be a good time to go and audition a few alternatives.

My local dealerships, mostly the normal chains, within 25 miles stock the familiar brands of B &W, KEF, Monitor, PMC, PROAC, Spendor and possibly Dynaudio Focus 160, 260

but not much else without some 100 mile return journeys to London.

I listen to most genres of music so not only do the speakers have to behave close to walls they should be able to reproduce a widw variety of music.

As I have Mono X200s as the driving force (Stream X, DAC XP+, Chord Sig i/c & Speaker Cable) what speakers would you put on the short list to listen to.

Budget wise I have not set a maximum amount as I have an inkling that the law of diminshing returns applies to this set up in terms of room and amplification. So instead how about recommendations in the following price bands.

1000-2000

2000-3000

3k +

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I would look at:

- Kef R Series

- Kef Ref Series

- Vienna Acoustics

- Spendor A Series

- Spendor Classic Series

- Spendor STs

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
£1000-2000:

Standmounts: ProAc Studio 115, ProAc Response D1 and D2, PMC DB1i, PMC Twenty.21 and Twenty.22, Neat Acoustics Petite SX, ATC SCM11 and SCM19. You can try the B&W PM1 and Dynaudio Focus 160, but I find they normally need a fair amount of room.

Floorstanders: B&W CM8, PMC Twenty.23, Tannoy Precision 6.2,

£2000-3000:

KEF Reference 201/2, ATC SCM40.

£3000+:

KEF Reference 203/2, PMC Fact 8.

Whchever speakers you're looking at, you could widen your search if you're willing to look at adding room EQ. The Antimode Dual Core can EQ two full range channels of audio. This can either be placed in a tape loop using standard phono cables, or even between the pre and power amps using balanced XLR connections. It may cost £680, but it'll make the most of whichever speakers you decide to put in your room, even if they are a bit bassy. This will allow you to look at other models that maybe do produce too much bass for your room, or allow you to place the speakers closer to your wall.

etlmdhn

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks CnoEvil for your reply. I tried to access to VA BBGs previously as Cyrus have a link to them on the website and rumour has it Cyrus kit is voiced with the BBGs; but can't be had for love or money round these parts. . I love the look of the STs but cant help thinking they are going to be too big for the space I have but no harm in trying. I've been reading online reviews of the Spendor SA1 and that has been placed 12 to 15 inches from walls which helps it in the bass department. The A5 seems to be well thought of and I've been thinking along the lines of the KEfs 2 smaller References 201 and 203. Trying to find dealerships that have the kit in for demo is the going to be an issue methinks

etlmdhn

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I like the Dynaudio Confidence C1s but way out of my price bracket and also no dealers to listen to them Most dealers that stock Dyns only stock the lower price range for some reason. I can't fond a dealer that does Neat or Harbeths either so iniitially I have to discount them.

etlmdhn

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
The WHF review of these said thay needed plenty of room which I don't have. Also there are no dealers around these parts that I could hear them. Do you have personal experience of these close to walls?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
etlmdhn said:
Thanks CnoEvil for your reply. I tried to access to VA BBGs previously as Cyrus have a link to them on the website and rumour has it Cyrus kit is voiced with the BBGs; but can't be had for love or money round these parts. . I love the look of the STs but cant help thinking they are going to be too big for the space I have but no harm in trying. I've been reading online reviews of the Spendor SA1 and that has been placed 12 to 15 inches from walls which helps it in the bass department. The A5 seems to be well thought of and I've been thinking along the lines of the KEfs 2 smaller References 201 and 203. Trying to find dealerships that have the kit in for demo is the going to be an issue methinks

The STs are really quite small, so check them out.......good speakers, which don't have over-powering bass.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts