Speaker recommendation for Arcam 8R amp and Arcam 7SE player

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I'm looking for a speaker recommendation for the above sytem as I currently have B&W 601 Series 2 speakers.

My main music that I listen to would be Rock.

I also have an Apple Airport Express conencted to a DAC Magic Plus via optical.

thanks,

A

Anonymous

As above with what PP said

Not sure about the Dali Ikon's but definitely the Lektor 2's will work well as would the B&W 685's

The M/A BX2's would work very well indeed IMO; a bit more of a livelier sound over the B&W's which will help the Arcam gear as it's fairly smooth from the off!

T

the record spot

Depending on your budget, other brands are available...!

A

Anonymous

As regards the M/A BX2s there is a comment over on the opinion page on this site for thise speakers from someone who bought them for an Arcam system:

"OK...right now I am a bit disappointed. As far as aesthetics are concerned (which I'm not that bothered by in relation to audio)...who thought poorly colour matched plastic strips across the top were a good idea? YUK.

Soundwise, I'm using Arcam Alpha 7se, Arcam Delta 90 amp...all 'old' gear, I realise, but hardly renowned for harshness (and fantastic with B&W 602's)...

Currently experiencing painfully hard mid and harsh upper mid. OK, the detail is impressive but 'scale'? hmm...not so sure."

So I'm more confused than ever as that would be my budget - should they still be considered given the above comment?

A

Anonymous

Bonovox said:
As regards the M/A BX2s there is a comment over on the opinion page on this site for thise speakers from someone who bought them for an Arcam system:

"OK...right now I am a bit disappointed. As far as aesthetics are concerned (which I'm not that bothered by in relation to audio)...who thought poorly colour matched plastic strips across the top were a good idea? YUK.

Soundwise, I'm using Arcam Alpha 7se, Arcam Delta 90 amp...all 'old' gear, I realise, but hardly renowned for harshness (and fantastic with B&W 602's)...

Currently experiencing painfully hard mid and harsh upper mid. OK, the detail is impressive but 'scale'? hmm...not so sure."

So I'm more confused than ever as that would be my budget - should they still be considered given the above comment?

Only YOU can tell that for your own hearing

Demo them; even if just to rule them out!

Another post though that amazes me as Arcam, the smoothest soundstage of all separates IMO, can make, what I deem very capabable speakers sound harsh!

The M/A speakers, with the wrong equipment, can come across very bright/open I agree but with NAD, Arcam and even the likes of Musical Fidelity etc... usually makes for a well rounded and smooth but well detailed soundstage

T

the record spot

If you're looking for refinement, then you could look at the Tannoys I'm using below - very fine speakers for the money (£350) and highly impressive. No harshness, good depth for their size and pleasantly revealing of recordings.

If you'd care to go secondhand, or would consider it, then Mission's original 751 is unbeatable at the price (£100 or so for a mint pair) and will sit comfortably and better many under £500 (they originally retailed for £300). Both offer perhaps close to what you are looking for if you feel the MAs exhibit harshness when you hear them. Try to hear a run-in pair though; any speaker will sound different out the box compared to a one that's seen a few hours or days use.

Bonovox said:

Having owned Arcam amps for 14 years, they are one brand that aren't harsh or bright. I'm with hi-filover in that Arcam has a smooth midband and a crisp, detailed top-end. If anything Arcam is slightly languid. The only time I've ever noticed anything approaching harshness was when my RS6s were running in, which lasted about two days.

I would suggest you listen to Focal (my original suggestion), as they have a slightly smoother tonal balance. That said, I found Focal/Arcam combo just a tad too safe.

A

Anonymous

Thanks again, I presume the terminals on the back of the Monitor Audio BX 2 take normal "Banana plugged" speaker cable?

A

Anonymous

Bonovox said:
Thanks again, I presume the terminals on the back of the Monitor Audio BX 2 take normal "Banana plugged" speaker cable?

They do :)

As PP said you can just use bare wire but plugs are easier if you plan on moving the speakers around or changing them etc...

Just wired up my BX1's today in my office with my NAD C320BEE amp (plugs at amp end but bare wire on speakers). Making for a very good sound so far (just need a DAC to go between the iMAC and amp) Hmmm... :? :doh: ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts