Speaker pairing for Arcam FMJ A29 amp

Compactdisco

Apr 19, 2016
Visit site
Hello,

I'm new to this Forum. I was hoping someone may be able to recommend sepaker pairing options for an Arcam FMJ A29 integrated amp. I find this amp to be very smooth, detailed and refined but I also agree with some reviews suggesting that it also has a polite sound and therefore requiring special speaker pairing, perhaps with speakers with more punch and forward sound.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

I've not heard the combo myself, but the magazine is keen on the B&W 685 S2. A pair of stand mounting speakers for £500. If you are richer, or have a larger room, the 683 are over a grand and don't need stands.

Try to hear a few pairs before deciding.

And welcome to the forum!

Reijer

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Hi and welcome to the forum.

I love the combo Arcam/KEF. I heard the A19 with the R300. Loved the sound but it was over my budget. Try some Kefs, they work well with Arcam.

What Hifi loves the Arcam/B&W combo. I don't. It's a matter of taste so take your time and audition as much as you can before buying anything.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Try Quad 12l's if you don't mind used. The New Mission LX range may also be worth consideration if you can find a pair to audition.

Heard the 683's a few weeks ago with the A29's and thought they were very poor - also tried the Audiolab 8300a and the Musical Fidelity M3si with them.

Not a good speaker imo.

matthewpiano

I've never been a fan of the Arcam/B&W combination, and having tried it at home myself I wouldn't go there again. B&Ws need more grip than most Arcam amplifiers have been able to give, but the A29 might be a different proposition in that respect so still worth a try.

I've heard Arcam amplification at its (very considerable) best with speakers by Focal (with A38), KEF (with A19), and PMC (with A18), so I would suggest trying to audition those brands with your A29.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts