speaker package for a Yamaha rx A3020

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
RickyDeg said:
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Gerrardasnails said:
I've heard no sat speaker system that can touch a very good full sized package.

You need to hear a Ken Kreisel designed sub/sat system for movies then - for movie reproduction, there's no comparison :)

Those would be killer fun to audition! When are they out in stores?

His website is a bit... uhm, tricky and lacking with info. Unless I've missed something.

The Quattro range has a worldwide launch about mid February, so products should be with us and on demo by the end of the third week in Feb.

An open day will follow that once the Duo range is launched :)

jcshutts

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
How about this idea then re the 3020/3010 debate.

I am being told that my existing yamaha z9 will have better amplification than these flagship amplifiers as much of the investment is now going into the processing side and the extra gadgets around airplay etc. (I started a thread in AV receivers on this but may not need it!)

If I am to lose sound quality by replacing the Z9 for a modern flagship then should I opt for the 3010 which will offer the HD decoding and processing and pre-amp the Yamaha z9 as the driving force? if that's the right term.

May be a little extreme to have two great boxes in the room and might not please the wife. Thoughts???

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
That would be madness. The 3010 is brilliant.

jcshutts said:
How about this idea then re the 3020/3010 debate.

I am being told that my existing yamaha z9 will have better amplification than these flagship amplifiers as much of the investment is now going into the processing side and the extra gadgets around airplay etc. (I started a thread in AV receivers on this but may not need it!)

If I am to lose sound quality by replacing the Z9 for a modern flagship then should I opt for the 3010 which will offer the HD decoding and processing and pre-amp the Yamaha z9 as the driving force? if that's the right term.

May be a little extreme to have two great boxes in the room and might not please the wife. Thoughts???

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
No, never had an Onk. Before I had the Sony 3400ES. Enormous jump to my Yammy.

Sliced Bread said:
Gerrardasnails said:
My view is the 3010 is the steal of the century - I got mine a few months ago and it's a beast! So, grab one while you can as they won't last much longer. As for the Apex shout, I would say they are very good but not great. I used to have a pair for my rears but replaced them (decorating instruction!) with in wall speakers and the result was a better sound for nearly half the price. As for Apex or M1s versus floorstanders - no comparison. Go for the RX6AV package.
Hi Gerrardasnails, Did you used to use an Onlyo 875? If so how does the 3010 compare? Thanks

jcshutts

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
I do struggle to see that the Z9 would be markedly better at amplification and therefore noticeable in sound quality - not that I am doubting the store I am buying through - after all it would be in his interest for me to replace the Z9 and buy an AV amp from him!

Sliced Bread

Apologies, I have a correction: The Apex was not recommended for the Yamaha 3020, it was recommended for the Onkyo 818. The PMC DB1’s were recommended as the sub sat system for the 3020. Sorry for any misinformation.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts