Speaker options for recent cd upgrade

kusum65

Aug 8, 2007
Visit site
Hi , ive just upgraded my arcam 72 to the 192 model and could do with some speaker suggestions . I have B&W 601s which are probably to big with my present small listening room and i listen to all types of music. The arcam has brought noticable improvements to the sound but i find that vocals , particulary female vocals , sound a bit forward and on some recordings a bit tiring.

From reading W HIFI im thinking a neutral monitor would be worth checking out. My local hi fi shop has a pair of pro ac tablette 8 signatures that look very pretty and have a £100 knocked of them but im a bit put of by the pushy salemen. Any ideas would be appreciated.

John Duncan

Ooo Proac Tablette reference 8 Signatures ooo.

Have you listened to them? They're my favourite standmount, like, ever (though couldn't afford them when I needed to). Consider also PMC DB1i or, controversially, AVI Neutron V if you a) like vocals and b) have a small room (as I do).

A

Anonymous

Listen to a few boxes as people always seem to be surprised when they hear what others have commented on. In particular the Proac Tab Ref 8 Sig actually evokes mixed feelings. It wasn't for me. Spendor are my favs at the mo so check them out.

kusum65

Aug 8, 2007
Visit site
Sorry , had to go back to work, but thanks for the replys. My amps a rotel 1062 and yes ill have to check the pro acs as it seems some people seem to be very excited about them . I know i had the aug 04 issue with their review but it got binned a long time ago. Any idea what people mean by them sounding like " electrostats" by the way.

The spendor option does does sound an attractive proposition as you can get the old se3s for a good price these days

John Duncan

Comparison to electrostatics usually means really good imaging - like the voices float in front of you. Almost always used in the same sentence as "holographic". It was what I liked most about them, though I have found other speakers since that do that as well - the PMC DB1+ and AVI Neutron V for starters, both of which I have in my house.

You must always listen in tandem with your amp though - is igglebert says, you may find a particular combination gets 'too much' at one frequency extreme or the other - his SA1s didn't work for me, for instance (not at 1100 quid anyway
emotion-2.gif
), but I'm sure in his system it's as stunning as he (and everybody else) says.

jd

kusum65

Aug 8, 2007
Visit site
The PMCs sound great speakers but im a bit puzzled about room placement. Do they require toe in and are they best right up against the wall ? I know they have a unique base port but dont know how they would work in my small room and fire place in the way

John Duncan

Though they're rear ported, the transmission line doesn't work quite like a traditional port (it says here in the brochure). I personally have them in a bay window, so not actually up against anything behind them (unless you count a window sill at 45§) with excellent results - whereas a traditional ported design (AVI Neutron V) in the same position is robbed of a bit of bass.

Find a PMC dealer who will let you try a pair at home in the position you intend.

Oh, and mine are toed in, yes.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
I wrote a thread on some standmounts i demod last weekend including the signature 8's which may help.

http://whathifi.com/forums/t/123242.aspx

kusum65

Aug 8, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for that , PMCs sound a safe bet , i know a place that does them. Their miles away but a lot nicer to deal with than the other place. I dont know any AVi dealers but im interested to track one down as you mentioned they were mellow with vocals

kusum65

Aug 8, 2007
Visit site
Interesting thread . I love doing demos my self but always feel guilty when i dont buy anything. You put me right of the tablettes. My little B&Ws sound great, best £250 ive spent but its the female vocal thing i have a problem with and so like you , im a bit dissapointed about the tablettes if thats the case. Shame , they looked so pretty! The neat motives sound good though so ill add them to my list. Cheers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts