Speaker Isolation and Ringing

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've recently gone through some different configs of my speakers and stands to find some definite differences. Presently my Apollo stands are empty and standing on granite plinths on a wooden floor. The spikes have been left on. To me the key difference is a brighter sound. I don't know whether this is due to less bass transmission giving the impression of a brighter sound or whether there's some sort of stand ringing going on.

Has anyone got any thoughts on this topic? How does stand ringing manifest itself? Should I lose the spikes and stand the bases on the granite?

Thanks in advance!

A

Anonymous

for me the best thing i did was use isolators between the speakers and stands. really tightened up the bass and improved imaging and soundstage as a result. the products i used are called ultrafeet and come in two different sizes dependant upon the weight of the product you sue them under... they are relatively cheap and available on ebay. though you could use more halved squash balls if you want to try it on the cheap....

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
igglebert:I've recently gone through some different configs of my speakers and stands to find some definite differences. Presently my Apollo stands are empty and standing on granite plinths on a wooden floor. The spikes have been left on. To me the key difference is a brighter sound. I don't know whether this is due to less bass transmission giving the impression of a brighter sound or whether there's some sort of stand ringing going on.

Has anyone got any thoughts on this topic? How does stand ringing manifest itself? Should I lose the spikes and stand the bases on the granite?

Thanks in advance!

I removed the spikes from my speakers and the rubber feet now sit on granite which sit on carpet. Very clean sound.

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
Yep, remove all the spikes. Using them with granite defeats the object of using granite in the first place - you want to couple your speakers with the granite and so 'dump' as much vibration into it as possible. Spikes inhibit this. Empty stands also won't help the 'ringing', especially if they are metal.

TRENDING THREADS