speaker isolation

jonb

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
I've got speaker set up on a long surface along with amp and tt - all well spread out - surface is a purpose made unit that runs the width of the room with records underneath. I don't have room for floor standing speaker stands so I was wondering whether there might be an isolation solution that I could put under the speakers on the unit. I've seen wooden and granite ones being sold but if anyone had a view on these and whether they are worth bothering with, I'd be grateful. thanks.

rainsoothe

look for Starsound Audio Sistrum Apprentice Platforms (the SP-SA-101, 102, 103, 104) - or you can search their site for cheaper sollutions. In the same price bracket there's the Stillpoints Ultra Mini (you can use 3 per speaker). If these two sollutions are too expensive, you can always check Vibrapods out - just look for the ones that match your equipment's weight.

Although you can use homemade stuff if you're short on cash - for instance, i cut 4 tennis balls in half and put a semi-sphere under each corner of my Supernait 2 and Dac V1. Too bad I can't do that with my 23kg speakers :p

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
It depends on what you want to isolate from what. If you have a TT on the same unit as the speakers, you might well want to isolate the TT. Personally I wouldn't bother to isolate an amp from speakers.

The bigger question re. the speakers is whether/how you want to couple them to the unit or not. I guess this is what you were getting at. It would be worth experimenting with some bits of blu tak under the speakers.

Matt

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
You could also experiment with blue tac and squash balls cut in half.

Or jenga blocks to decouple the speakers from the surface.

Another solution would be short speaker stands but that may not be partner friendly.

Just try different 'blocks' under your speakers - see if you hear a difference.

Mihai

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
As a small budget solution try using insulator for water pipes, this is what I've used to insulate my speakers from the furniture, I have the same issue as you. This will work good until you'll reach higher volumes and will cost 1 or 2 pounds. It also can be used under your electronics feet and could be a good temporary solution.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
£100 ish may or may not be reasonable dependant on system. The op does not specify. I recon the various diy solutions, blutac, foams etc are fine for all but the higher end systems. I use spikes, slabs, squash balls, pipe insulation, foam etc discretely so little is visible. Has it made a difference? I dont really know but suspect not. TT must be a first to consider - I would try blutack-granite- pad-TT feet if stood on a wooden top and then blutac-pad for speakers.

When played at desired volume can you feel vibration on the TT plynth? Lift the speakers by hand off the unit (2 volunteers needed). Does the sound change?

Just a few rambling comments before sitting down to lunch. Good luck.

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I'd try something like these...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Square-Rubber-Feet-13mm-x-8mm-x-6mm-Black-Self-Adhesive-MANY-QTYS-AVAILABLE-/271600022334?pt=UK_DIY_Material_Nails_Fixing_MJ&var=&hash=item3f3c9f733e

I have something very similar under my Tannoys to isolate them from the hard floor. Very effective and cost peanuts.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
chebby said:
Stick 'em on the wall. Brackets or purpose built little shelves to match your furniture and decor.

+1 Definitely use wall brackets for your speakers and hopefully that will be all you need. If not, additionally use an effective T/T isolator from the many suggestions above.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
OK.

First thing, your setup is quite possibly the worst possible way of setting up a vinyl playback system imaginable, a single heavy piece of furniture (record storage, right!) supporting both turntable and speakers.

The only way of getting something even tolerable would be to wall mount the turntable on a small dedicated shelf that is totally separate from the furniture. This is the absolute minimum you must do, if you can't do that, then you have no chance.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
OK.

First thing, your setup is quite possibly the worst possible way of setting up a vinyl playback system imaginable, a single heavy piece of furniture (record storage, right!) supporting both turntable and speakers.

The only way of getting something even tolerable would be to wall mount the turntable on a small dedicated shelf that is totally separate from the furniture. This is the absolute minimum you must do, if you can't do that, then you have no chance.

I take it you had a nice holiday, Dave?

*unknw*

Matt

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
matt49 said:
davedotco said:
OK.

*unknw*

Matt

One or two interesting experiences, musically speaking. Will right up a couple of things when I have more time.

Aspendos was a delight though, an absolute hoot. Couple of other things to describe too.....!

However I could see a couple of threads that needed my urgent attention.........*dirol*

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
One or two interesting experiences, musically speaking. Will right up a couple of things when I have more time.

Aspendos was a delight though, an absolute hoot. Couple of other things to describe too.....!

However I could see a couple of threads that needed my urgent attention.........*dirol*

Great to hear Aspendos was a success. I did that area when I was a student. Would love to go back. The elder daughter wants to study classics, so we'll have a nice incentive.

Matt

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
matt49 said:
davedotco said:

Great to hear Aspendos was a success. I did that area when I was a student. Would love to go back. The elder daughter wants to study classics, so we'll have a nice incentive.

Matt

Matt,

To avoid any further thread cr@ping, I have posted some thoughts in the "This week I have been listening to" section

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
matt49 said:
davedotco said:
OK.

*unknw*

Matt

Welcome back. *smile*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts