Speaker impedance

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've got the pioneer vsx lx52 amp which says it outputs between 6 and 8 ohms I was looking at some vienna acoustics speakers but these output at 4 ohms are these compatible? sorry for being a numpty but im new at this and not sure what it means

Cheers Dave

A

Anonymous

Cheers for the quick reply the speakers are bach grands in the front haydn grands for the rear and theatro centre is this too much for the amp?

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
roger06:
What's the difference between 4, 6 and 8 Ohm speakers?

The amount of current they draw from the amp at a given volume- impedance is the 'resistive load' the amplifier sees.

A four-ohm speaker will draw twice as much current as an eight-ohm speaker at the same volume.

Most modern amps will have no problem driving either, if you're using fours just make sure the amp is well ventilated as it will probably run fairly hot. An amplifier will need a high current-capability to get the best from lower impedance speakers, rather than sheer Watts. Similar sort of difference to torque and horsepower in cars, I think... Lower impedance speakers need more torque, 8ohmers need more horsepower... I'll shut up now.

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Er, OK - think I understand (although car analogies are wasted on me! ) . A couple of further questions then...

1. Surely there must be some benefit in 4 ohm speakers ? (my Dynaudios are) - can't all be downside...

2. Why do you have to tell a surround amp what impedance speakers you're using but a hi fi amp you don't ?

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
In many cases, 4-ohm speakers sound a bit more exciting and punchy than 8s, whereas 8s are more refined.

This is a generalisation, and I don't even know if it's true, but I've definitely heard it said...

For a given wattage, two different speakers -of the same sensitivity-, one 8ohm and one 4ohm, should produce the same level of volume, in theory.

The four ohm speaker will draw twice the current of the 8ohm, but at only half the voltage across the terminals, as Power=current x volts, if either goes up, the other goes down to compensate.

It is not really an issue- a good speaker is a good speaker regardless of its impedance, and there is no specific downside to 4ohm speakers. And as long as you don't want rock concert volume levels out of them for long periods, they shouldn't trouble any half-decent amp.

As for your second question, I don't do AV so I haven't a clue!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts