Speaker help

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
hi everyone...

I have been reading What HiFi for the past 4 years and have been enjoying the upgrading from a boom box to a Denon Midi systen to my current Cyrus set up. I really want to uprate my speakers and would like some advice on the most suitable standmounts.

I have a Cyrus CD7Q with a PSXr, a C7amp bi amped with a Cyrus link power all conected with nordost red dawn and solarwind cables. all this gear is attached to my humble 601s3 speakers and Q150mk2 sub.

I am moving my hi fi from my lounge to an upstairs bedroom (4 x 3m... timber floors) and the sub is being retained for home cinema duties.

I recently auditioned the B&W CM1 speakers and 705's. the imaging on the 705's was astounding but sounded too 'lean' for my tastes.. the CM1 sounded good, but sounded a bit artificial in the way the rear ported design made its bass.

My question is, are the new 685 speakers a worthy comparison to the CM1 speakers? I prefer imaging and resolution over chasing a 20hz bass response from my speakers.

Anyone compared the 4star quad £500 standmounts with the 685's?

I hope someone can help.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
may be because not many people have a chance to listen to 685's yet! but on the paper they read like a great pair of speakers (even if they look un-balanced!). I still think the 805s is one of the best B&W for the price (find them 2nd hand for around £850 and they would show CM1 the door) imo.

A

Anonymous

I think the build quality of B&W is second to none,but sonically looking at your list without a doubt the Revolver RW16 would be top of my list,they have the ability to throw out a massive soundstage,superb vocal projection,tight punchy bass,easily one of the best at £400.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Silly, sorry mate but I thought they were lacking in details but still rate them more than the Quad! at least it didn't strip paint in my front room!
Revolver does rock stuff well as they got that punchy sound which is great for a short demo but I know 3 people that bought them and all of them sold it within 6 month!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts