Speaker help please

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Firstly hi to all forum members.Just need a little pointer in the right direction as to what speakers i should get for my Musical Fidelity A3 amp & cd player.The room they are in is only 4X4m which is a little on the small side i know.Ian open to any sugestions & would be grateful for any help that can be provided.

A

Anonymous

What sort of music do you listen to? What sort of sound do you prefer? Tight and fast or low and deep? Any other factors to consider such as having to push the speakers close to a rear wall?

A

Anonymous

Apologies i should have given a bit more information as to my preferences.Musically i prefer electronic music i.e Jean michel jarre,vangelis,Mike oldfield ect.Also i like Pink floyd ,pop & various others.Not really a fan of classical,jazz or blues.As for my budget i'd probably be looking at upto £1200 but maybe able to stretch to a bit more if need be.Many thanks

A

Anonymous

I'd consider something along the lines of Proac 1SC or its replacement, the Response D1. These are small monitors that excel at imaging and will provide you a much bigger sound than you could believe upon first inspection. A similar contender is the Spendor SA1, having a slightly different flavor but of the same ilk. You'll need some decent stands to go with these too.

On a rung down you could consider the MA GS10 & PMC DB1i. The former will sound a little more airy and zingy, the latter more neutral. Both are good monitor speakers but I've heard that MF and MA pair well.

If you prefer more bass then you should consider the currently discounted Spendor S5e available at £899. Not sure how well these will go with the MF kit but I suspect it'd work well. If you can stretch the budget to £1.5k then you can consider trying the Spendor A5, quite acclaimed at the moment.

If you want something in between then the Proac Response D2 is a medium sized stand mount that is fantastic. The looks and proportions aren't to everyone's taste though.

If it were me I'd start with the smallest boxes and work your way up if you don't find them 'big' enough in sound. There's really nothing worse than flappy, boomy bass!

Lots of ways to skin a cat but these are my thoughts.

A

Anonymous

Nearly forgot, the Rega RS3 or RS5 floor standers might be worth a try too. Good value.

I'm sure Iggle will mention Spendor - although not heard them, with praise they get on this forum they must be a quality speaker. Also look at Wilson benesch standmounters ( can't remember the model). They used to retail at around £1,500 mark, if memory serves me right. So should be able to them up with decent discount.

Your room size, I would also consider svelt floorstanders, Spendor A5, SE5e's - or even look at ATC's. They may also fit the bill.

Please audition before buying because what we like may not be to your liking.

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:I'm sure Iggle will mention Spendor
I'm a bit of a broken record aren't I...

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
A good shout tho' Iggs. You can't go too far wrong with a shortlist of Spendor, ProAc, PMC. I would also add ATC, Neat and Dali to this.

ÿ

Kevin Stephens

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
MA GS10s are very good with my MF A3.5 CD and amp, and compact size suits a smallish room, but I haven't had a chance to compare them with the alternatives mentioned above Discount available if you shop around,

SteveR750

For the price of a new pair of Spendor A5's you cold get some S6e's and lots of CD's. I'll be surprised if the "new" A5's are much better than the "old" S6e....given the gap between old S5e and S6e

A

Anonymous

Many thanks for all the suggestions given.I am going out today to review some of the speakers i have been recommended starting with the Spendor S5E.Then as i'm aware MF use MA speakers to test there products i'm goin to look at various ones in there line up including the GS10'S.Although the spendors seem to get a lot of support on the forums i will try them first.Again many thanks.

Dannysigma

Aug 21, 2007
Visit site
I've just upgraded the speakers that go with my MF3/3.2 to ProAc Tablette 8 Reference Signatures. They're tiny and stunning. In the process of going back through my entire CD collection and listening anew.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts