speaker distance

beachBOYken

Jan 1, 2008
Visit site
hi

does anyone know the best distance from the back wall is for standmount speakers , i have the rs1's but i dont have a lot of space in my room and with the left speaker it has a wall to its left , but im not sure if that makes a lot of difference,

im just unsure how far from the back wall they should be ?

cheers

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
These are rear-ported speakers so they could do to be prob about 8-16" from the rear wall to avoid bass boom

Juist depends on how loud you'll have them as well as with them being close to walls, they will always boom a little, but this can be used to an advantage as well.

If you can get about 8" clearance all round them from rear to side walls i think they should be fine

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I'd go for at least 30cm from rear wall - maybe even more - and much more from side walls. Equidistant from side and rear walls, especially as close as 20cm, is a recipe for serious boom, thanks to the corner effect.

A

Anonymous

6' away from the back wall would be a safe distance. But you may be able to do with less if you must. Start from 6-8' and keep moving it backwards and sideways till you get the sound you are after. Actually you may be able to gain a dB or two by leaving it close to the wall. But then that is recommendable only if it works to your advantage and not at the cost of degraded sound.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I think he means 6in, not 6ft! But I'd still say that's much too close, especially in a small room.

If they must be this close, you might want to experiment with some open-cell foam bungs in the rear ports.

A

Anonymous

Yes, indeed I meant 6-8 inches. Thanks for the correction :)

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Andrew, would you say the same distance for the RS6s or more? I plan to place mine in the two corners of my lounge facing diagonally towards the room. I got the foam plugs with them, so I could try using them if it's a bit boomy. I was planning on having them about a foot from the join of the two walls, which would make them a little bit more from each side wall.

beachBOYken

Jan 1, 2008
Visit site
ah thats a point if im sitting in the middle of my front speakers which are not that far apart because of limited space , should i have them both facing inwards towards me or straight ahead?

thanks

A

Anonymous

Whether you should toe in your speakers or straight ahead is a matter of trial and error - try both and see which is best.

If you get a "hole" in the sound between the speakers then trying toeing them in bit by bit until you get the best result.

I have RS6s and toe them in but this might not work for you.

Try not to have them too near the rear wall - you get a better depth of sound if they are away from the wall.

Overall I would experiment but make sure you make the speakers stable with the spikes and fill the front / raer ports to see how it affects the bass.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Gerrardasnails"]Sorry Heystak (great name), what do you mean by "toe in"?[/quote]

Angled slightly in towards the listening position. Just enough so you can see the 'outside' sides of the speaker cabinets is usually enough.

A

Anonymous

Presumably, angling your speakers with respect to the rear wall might also have an effect on the "bass boom", as the sound wouldn't reflect back directly onto the speaker?

A

Anonymous

i have my speakers about 8 inches from the rear wall and about 2 feet from a side wall. No boom problems. Dont put the RS1's any closer than 6 inches to rear wall or your soundstage shrinks. I found about 8-12 inches away gives the best balance between bass and soundstage.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts