Speaker connection to amplifier and integrated preamplifier

Solly

May 3, 2020
Visit site
I have an Arcam 10/10P Power Amplifier and Integrated Preamplifier in my stereo system.
My speakers are KEF Reference Series Model Three with two HF and two LF ports.
I would be most grateful if you could advise me as to the best way to connect these speakers to the Amp and the Preamp for optimum output.
I am unsure if they should be connected to the amp, the pre=amp, or both.
Thank you,

An integrated and a preamplifier are different things - the former is usually used to power a speaker but the latter cannot. If you have an integrated and a power amp you have a couple of options, if you have a preamplifier and a power, the former is connected to the latter, and the latter to your speakers.

If you mean you have the Arcam 10/10P combination as your amplification then you have an integrated amplifier that is utilised as a preamplifier when used in conjunction with the power amplifier.
These are connected via the 'pre-out' sockets on the back of the 10.
Connecting those speakers should be kept to the simplest method.
Those terminals (the black and red or left and right pair) should be connect with a metal strip between them, are they on your speakers?
If so simply run your speaker cable from these terminals to those on the back of the power amp only.

jjbomber

I have an Arcam 10/10P Power Amplifier and Integrated Preamplifier in my stereo system.
My speakers are KEF Reference Series Model Three with two HF and two LF ports.
Thank you,

I had the Arcams with KEF Reference One speakers, part of a DAVE system.
Textbook is the LF ports are connected to the 10P power amplifier, whereas the 10 Integrated amplifier is connected to the HF ports.
I found I got the best result by connected one speaker to the 10 and the other to the 10P. Feel free to experiment.
Both these methods mean that you remove the gold metal strips on the ports.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts