speaker connection phasing making no sense

johnnyboy1950

May 27, 2013
Visit site
I recently moved my hifi rack with all the gear to a different place in the room. The existing speaker cables were not long enough so I connected one speaker temporarily with a different cable. The original cables were both QED silver anniversary XT. I immediately noticed a huge reduction in bass response. Thinking I had the phasing wrong I metered out the cables and found I had the right phase connection. The strange thing is if I swap over either speaker to put it out of phase the bass improves to how it was before i moved the rack. the only difference now is the temporary cable I have connected to one speaker. Could different cables cause the same effect as incorrect phasing? I will buy some more QED cable anyway but it doesnt make sense to me that different cables can have the same effect as incorrect phasing'

I agree with Gray, I wouldn't expect that. And like you, out of phase is usually weaker bass - as the speakers tend to cancel out when one sucks and the other blows!

Are the speakers themselves in the same location? Almost wondering if the speakers might be wired out of phase internally but even that seems highly unlikely - though some have tweeter out of phase with bass, deliberately.

abacus

The speakers and room go together, if you change one or both then this can alter the sound, (If an AV always re-run the room correction software when you change anything) and I suspect this is what has happened.

The other possibility is that the extra cable you have added is not up to the job (Such as thinner thus creating a higher resistance) which is preventing the amp from controlling the speaker correctly.

There is also the possibility (Though unlikely) that you damaged something during the move.

Don’t worry though I am sure it is nothing serious.

Bil

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts