Speaker choice

Stonez

Aug 21, 2021
Visit site
Hello, I have a Cambridge axa35, and want to purchase some new speakers. Have narrowed down to Elac debut 5.2 or the Dali Spektor 2 . I think the Dali would run ok, but not sure about the Elac with only 35w per channel. Could I have some advice before buying.....thanks

Gray

Have you got any reason for thinking the Elac would need more power than the Dali?
According to the WHF figures at least, the Elac is actually (slightly) more sensitive.
How big is your room, how close to the speakers will you be, how loud do you prefer to listen???

Last edited:

Stonez

Aug 21, 2021
Visit site
My room is 20 foot by 15 foot I usually listen 6' away the speakers can be max 7' apart. The Elac in the specs say a minimum of 40w that's why will the Cambridge be ok with these being rated 35w per channel

robdmarsh

I have the original Elac debut 5 which I love. I tried the 5.2 out of curiosity and to my ears they didn't have the magic of the originals. They were somehow more brittle sounding (even after a good 60 hours of running in) and strangely they had a narrower sound stage. So my advice would be, if you can find them, give the 5 (first version) a go. Of course, all of these things are subjective and partnering equipment dependent (I have a very humble little Marantz m-cr603 which I also love).

Stonez

Aug 21, 2021
Visit site
Thanks, I have settled on the Dali Spektor 2 which sound great with my Cambridge axa35. I too thought the Elac 5.2 quote sharp and not very forgiving. I had run a pair of Mordaunt short MS 20 for 30 plus years through a Creek amplifier and I feel the Dalis have a similar sound signature, so very please with my long awaited change!

gasolin

Elac/Dali 84db efficiency normal for small speakers
you could try 90+db speakers like klipsch
doubling power gives extra 3db output , quad gives 6db
rough guide 140wpc with 84db would give same volume with 35wpc with 90db speakers

R-41M Bookshelf Speaker | Klipsch

86db efficient, go for 4 ohm spakers with good sensitivity . 90 db sensitivity is high since 88-89 db is hard to achive (link)

TRENDING THREADS