Speaker & CD Player Advice

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My old Kenwood amp finally gave up the ghost a couple of months ago and so the search for a new amp/system began. I really liked the idea of either the Arcam Solo or the Linn Classik. I auditioned the Classik a month ago and was very impressed. Today I went to Audition the Solo, have to say that the Classik has the definite edge in my opinion. Anyway, I ended up not getting a Classik or Solo – as after taking the advice of the sales guy I had a listen to the Rotel RA06. I found the Rotel to be excellent, very clear top and mid range with a tight bass, the Solo was impressive but I found it was a little ‘messy’ in the bass area when the volume was cranked up. The speakers that sounded best with the Rotel at the audition were the B&W 685’s which I am seriously considering buying…. My question is what other speakers would work well with the RA06 and would be worth auditioning? Anyone know what pairs particularly well with Rotel kit other than B&W? Also, seen a couple of articles claiming the Rotel RCD 06 is not great for price – any suggestions for a good CD player (£300 range) to pair with amp? Any help/opinion appreciated.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I'd say the 685s would be an excellent match for the Rotel amp, but if you wanted to buy some less expensive speakers you could go for the Monitor Audio Bronze BR2s, or you might want to investigate the KEF iQ5SE if you fancied floorstanders.

As far as CD players are concerned, wait a week or two until the October issue is available - on August 23 - as there's a CD player test in there I reckon should answer your questions.

Now I really do sound like Clare and Andy C...

rich51080

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
Personally I would have gne for the Linn Classik with B&W speakers.

I sold my Rotel seperates and found the Classik to be way better sounding and more musical.

Regarding a cd player look at second hand exposure players. They are very musical and suit Rotel amps from what i hear.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the promt responce. I tried the standard IQ5s (not SE) whilst in the store as i really fancied a floor stander, however, they seemed a little "unclear" in comparison to the 685s. I have had a look around the web and cant find anything on the IQ5SE - are they a minor modifcation to the standard, or a complete overhaul?

Any other recomondations for floor standers to go with this amp?

Cheers

A

Anonymous

Thanks Rich. I really like the Classik - but they dont stock them at the place i was auditioning at(Solo only) so i couldnt compare against the Rotel. I tried several amps out and the Rotel just grabbed me.... nothing else sent a shiver down my spine and thats what drove my decision.

Which Rotel amp did you sell out of interest, RA06?

Cheers

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
I own a Rotel RA-04 and they work perfectly with Monitor Audio BR2 speakers. You should audition them IMO.
The Kef IQ5 SE should sound a whole lot better than the original ones. It got 5 stars in the latest issue.
A lot of people who heard the 'old' IQ5 are saying the same thing as you, that they were a bit unclear.
As a CD player I use the Marantz SA 7001, a fabulous player for the money.
Hope I could help a bit :)

rich51080

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
I sold

RC-03 PRE AMP

RB-03 POWER AMP

RCD-02 CD PLAYER

I advise you to go to www.superfi.co.uk and look at the Classik. If you dont like it you can sim ply send it back. Plus you can get 5 yr warranty and also option to add a power amp or even a DAC.

The Linn Classik is better than the Rotel kit your after IMHO.

I would reccommend you try the Linn Classik.

A

Anonymous

Mmmm, i'm getting worried now. Has anyone else compared the Classik against the latest Rotel kit? If so any thoughts appreciated. It's going to be hard for me to compare them side by side.

Cheers

A

Anonymous

i was worried after buying my Solo about the bass issues you talk about, but after moving to a 2.1 setup, and letting the subwoofer amp take care of the LF side of things it does sound much better.

A

Anonymous

OK, next chapter.....

So, i went to another Audition today and the guys at the shop were kind enought to let me bring home their demo classic to test at home. I have to say the Classik is a great bit of kit..... the vocals especially stand out. However, and this is judt MY opinion, the Rotel seems to me to have better seperation and more drive, the Classik seems to be a lot warmer all round.

Anyway, that aside - i tested the B&W 685's again and i still liked them..... then, the guy in the shop made me listen to a pair of B&W CM1's - at first i really didnt want to as their size (considerably smaller) put me off. Wow, how does so much sound come out of them???? I def think these are a step up, they are very impressive very clear with a very taught bass. I could not believe the difference. OK, they are about £100 more than the 685's - but what you get extra for that £100 is easily worth it. I bought them!!!

Just the CD player to go...

A

Anonymous

Just got the latest mag and am a little disappointed that the Rotel got such an average review as i was seriously considering the Rotel CDP to complete my setup. So, i have no experience with Marantz gear at all - anybody think this will go well with my new current setup - Rotel RA-06 Amp, B&W CM1 Speakers? Obviously i will be teating them, just wondered if any one had any experience pairing Rotel/Marantz Andrew - any comments?

Cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts