Speaker cables...

Sml534y

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
Having read a few lengthy threads on here on this touchy subject and like most people am now completely confused as to what to do...!?? I've spent quite a lot of money, for me anyway and don't want to loose out at the last hurdle by using the wrong cables! You don't buy a £100000 Porsche and then put cheap £20 tyres on it!

So Id like a bit of sensible advice on what cables and speaker wire I should go for to make the best out of my kit please...

I have a Pana 50GT50, HTS101 5.1 package, PS3 doing mainly blueray playback rather than gaming and a Yamaha 677 Amp.

a fairly modest setup but I'd still rather make the most out of what I have! That said il need 10 meters for each rear speaker and at least 4m for the front 3! So I don't think I'm going to be buying, or probably needing cable at £20p/m!! As for hdmi cables I need a 4m for the TV the rest as short as you can get as all in one place!!

Many thanks in advance

Craig

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site

raoulx

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
I recently bought Van damme cable off ebay from this seller. It seems pretty good, people give it good reviews and it seems much better than some cheap speaker wire I had from screwfix for my surrounds lol

Good quality material flexible and a difference was made.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391129685291?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=660482770452&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Sml534y

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
Ah I see your point on the Porsche, but you got what I was getting at!! Maybe I should of said inferior tyres rather than low cost!!

Sml534y

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
macdiddy said:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neet%C2%AE-White-Line-HIGH-SPEED-Ethernet/dp/B002EA6SSC/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1453586032&sr=8-16&keywords=neet+hdmi

I know it's a 5m length but 4m hdmi leads are not common (unless you have it custom made) and at £11 its a bargain, I use quite a few neet cables in my system, they are well made, the 10m version I use from my bluray to my projector is almost as thick as garden hose!

Are all there cables as thick as garden hose as I need quite a thin cable for the TV as I only have 20mm clearance in the wall!!

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
the 10m version as it has extra shielding for the longer length, the regular sized cables (including the one I linked) are about 10mm thick (this doesn't include the connectors at each end).

*music2*

raoulx

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
I was working on a budget for my rears with it being after christmas, so I got 1.5mm's the quality is pretty nice and much easier to move around rather than than my Chord on my front's. But it's still not too expensive if you get thicker cable. There about a 5er a meter or so.

Sml534y

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
Ah right ok, regarding the ends, what do you think I should go for, the tannoys have posts so I guess some sort of banana terminal for there, but what about the amp end!??

K

keeper of the quays

I'm using qed x350 sound ok...got silver anniversary on my other kit..good too!

Sml534y

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
Planing on fitting once only!! Other than the centre which might have to be hidden out of the way during the day as it will be sitting on the TV cabinet at 2 year old height...

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Any 1.5 mm2 39-strand copper will do for the rear surrounds, unless you're into reproducing the Royal Philharmonic in surround sound. For movies etc. the rears only provide "effect" not "substance" anyway. Use the cash you save on the rear cables to put into the cables for the fronts.

Oh, and there are "under carpet" (i.e. flat, ribbon) cables that work perfectly well out there too if that's an issue.

HDMI cables over 4 metres can be had, but you will pay through the nose for "good" (some round here would just say "expensive" ones.

I just bought some 12-foot IBRA brand "Pro Gold Red" HDMI cables for $25 each on Amazon.COM (not .co.uk). They're well made, have sturdy connectors and are supposedly as good as Audioquest Chocolates that cost a lot LOT more.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts