Speaker Cable

BluePotato

May 30, 2012
Visit site
Noddy question no doubt but if I need one length of speaker cable at 5m and the other at approx 2 metre (max), I'm assuming I still should by 10m? Feels a bit of a waste and extra cost (not to mention a load of cable for the 'nearside' speaker I need to hide). Can you get away with getting 7m or would that be a real no, no?

A

Anonymous

Use the cable lengths that fit best. There is no electrical property that could vary by enough to over those distances to make any difference. Anyone who says otherwise is either justifying their own expensive decision, or works for a cable retailer.

A

Anonymous

Different length cables will present different impedence to the amplifier, it probably won't make much difference, and only you will be able to tell if its audible. If there is any difference, it will most likely show as a change in frequency response - one speaker compared to the other.

Crossie

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
I have different lengths of speaker cable - it makes no difference to the sound quality, you save money and looks tidier.

No brainer!

BluePotato said:
Noddy question no doubt but if I need one length of speaker cable at 5m and the other at approx 2 metre (max), I'm assuming I still should by 10m? Feels a bit of a waste and extra cost (not to mention a load of cable for the 'nearside' speaker I need to hide). Can you get away with getting 7m or would that be a real no, no?

Won't make any audible difference.

Unless you have a preferred make, can I suggest either Chord SilverScreen or Odyssey 2 work very well with Leema.

kevinJ

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
The speakers will not sound different with different lenghts of cable, but you might find the one with the longest cable to be a little quieter (because of the "higher" impedance).

Get some 2.5mm² cable to minimise that effect.

Crossie

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Unless the difference in lengths are really very big then the impedence of the cables will make no audible difference. Save your money - buy lots of music :dance: or save for better speakers.

A

Anonymous

The_Lhc said:
Dr Lodge said:
Different length cables will present vanishingly small amounts of different impedence to the amplifier

I Fixed Your Post For You!™

Ah yes, that's the gist of the argument, especially if like me you're using Townshend ISOLDA impedence matched cables ;)

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
I'd buy 2x5m lengths, for the simple reason that you may move things about. And if you buy premium cables and wish to sell them in future, you'd be able to do that more easily with a matched pair.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts