speaker cable upgrade help

A

Anonymous

hi all

I am now at the stage were i feel my speaker cables are letting the side down a bit but am unsure as to what i should be looking to replace them with.

I currently have two runs of chord carnival silver screen from amp to speaker in a system which consists of - cyrus cd8x, cyrus pre vs2, 2 x cyrus smartpower (running in mono) chameleon silver plus interconnects, ra power leads and tacima block.

my music taste is quite broad, from the like of ub40 to chilli peppers, crowded house, smiths etc to female vocalist like mariah carey ect all via the way of a bit of michael jackson and phill collins! said it was broad!

Any thoughts about what i should be lookin to demo as an upgrade would be greatly appreciated

hoggers said:
hi all

I am now at the stage were i feel my speaker cables are letting the side down a bit but am unsure as to what i should be looking to replace them with.

I currently have two runs of chord carnival silver screen from amp to speaker in a system which consists of - cyrus cd8x, cyrus pre vs2, 2 x cyrus smartpower (running in mono) chameleon silver plus interconnects, ra power leads and tacima block.

my music taste is quite broad, from the like of ub40 to chilli peppers, crowded house, smiths etc to female vocalist like mariah carey ect all via the way of a bit of michael jackson and phill collins! said it was broad!

Any thoughts about what i should be lookin to demo as an upgrade would be greatly appreciated

Hi hoggers

I'll recommend standard 500 strand OFC speaker cable.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

I'd say IMO that with the short runs your using your present cable is more than good enough:grin:

A

Anonymous

cheers for all the replies

a few suggesting tellurium, however i can see this getting quite expensive as i would like to keep the speakers bi-wired or at least single wire and replacement liks from the same cable.

Rick you say standard 500 strand, think im right in sayin the van damme mentioned fits that category right?

silver high breeds certainly look interesting, but am worried i wont be able to demo first, anyone know any more on these? had an email from will saying those cables in 2m length 4/4 config would be £150. this seemed pretty good and came in around budget.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
hoggers said:
a few suggesting tellurium, however i can see this getting quite expensive as i would like to keep the speakers bi-wired or at least single wire and replacement liks from the same cable.

I also recommend Telurium Q "Blue"......IMO you are mostly better single wiring with more expensive cable, than bi-wiring with a cheaper one.

Gusboll

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
hoggers said:
cheers for all the replies

Rick you say standard 500 strand, think im right in sayin the van damme mentioned fits that category right?

silver high breeds certainly look interesting, but am worried i wont be able to demo first, anyone know any more on these? had an email from will saying those cables in 2m length 4/4 config would be £150. this seemed pretty good and came in around budget.

Will has always been very helpful in my experience; ask him if you can demo.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
hoggers said:
hi all

Hi hoggers

I'll recommend standard 500 strand OFC speaker cable.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

+1

A

Anonymous

MUSICRAFT said:
Imo simple multistrand OFC speaker cable will be more than good enough for your system.

If you want to try a "different sounding" cable, then 2.5mm twin and earth mains cable is an alternative. I prefer the solid core cables however with your equipment you may be better off with the slightly "warmer" sound of multistrand as Rick suggests.

A

Anonymous

thanks all for your comments, has definatly given me some food for though.

A

Anonymous

thanks all for your comments, has definatly given me some food for though.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
hoggers said:
thanks all for your comments, has definatly given me some food for though.....

....that it's well worth/not worth getting expensive cable, as the difference it makes is substantial/inconsequential! :)

stephennic

Jul 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I use both chord carnival silverscreen and Kimber 4tc/8tc. Kimber is certaintly a major upgrade to the chord - more open (bigger and deeper soundstaging), detail, more bass punch and the mids are more natural.

Cheers

Steve.

A

Anonymous

I'm not an expert in this but I've changed speaker cables recently and these were my findings...

I had QED Silver Anniversary speaker cable with a Marantz Melody Media system and my B&W 684's; sounded very nice but it was sometimes harsh in the trebles. The dealer said that the Chord Sulverscreen may be a better option as it wasn't silver coated so demo'd that and he was right. Bass was puncher and deeper but the treble wasn't nasty/harsh in any way.

He also gave me a chance to demo some Chord Odyssey 2 and some QED Revelution (I think it was) and these sounded even better so I stumped up for the Odyssey 2 which is the cable I've got currently between my Cyrus 8vs2 and 684's and it's a superb cable. Very detailed overall sound with bass depth and punch which is fantastic and no harshness or brittleness in the midrange or treble.

One other thing the dealer recommended was to not use the Tacima mains block I've got with my Hifi system as it dulls the sound; again he was right. I've got my amp, ATV2 and DAC plugged into a normal mains extension block and my TV & surround sound system into the Tacima.

The Hifi sounds a lot better not plugged into the Tacima; like someone's lifted a cloth away from the speakers if that makes any sense!

A

Anonymous

hi nad_fanatic.

interesting about the tacima will have to have a change round and see if there is any difference to my system.

will hopefully, fingers crossed, be picking up a demo pair of odyssey 4 on monday to have a play with for a few days.

changing the subject slightly, what bfa plugs would people reccomend?

tigetspill

Aug 15, 2009
Visit site
peterpan said:
Van Damme 4 mm lc-ofc :)

Indeed!

Much cheaper than most and as good. It's what professionals around the globe use

Though, it is unlikely tha 4mm will be needed unless using low impedance speakers over a fairly long difference. 2.5mm will be more than enough in a normal room worth 8ohm speakers. Even with 4ohm.

People spend huge amounts on cables where there are equally good if not better available if you know what to buy. You want to be paying the 90% markup and profits in these cables.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts