Speaker cable thickness, does this make a difference

pravstar

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Hi there, just a quick question, would having a thick chunky cable, ie like an av cable make any difference to having a standard size cable in terms of sonic difference. I understand that it looks more clumsy and awkward, but if you could please provide me some feedback, this would assist me in my cable purchase

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Pravstar, when talking about the thickness of the cable, are you refering to the outside diameter of the insulation or the outside diameter of the conducting core?

Some cables have thin conducting cores and thick chunky insulation.

Anyway. Check this cable loss calculator out:

http://www.electrovoice.com/cableloss.php

pravstar

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Ty, by thickness l meant it looks like an av cable, a bit chunky. I get the impression that this won't make it any worse which answers my question. Thanks to all who posted

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Yes you are both correct: thicker the better and optimal thickness in relation to length.

But the smart arse way everyone seems to be on these forums is unhelpful to people asking simple questions

Yes your clever but it just confuses and scares away new people.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
If there is the same overall diameter of copper then the two types of cable will have the same resistance and therefore the same properties. Standed cable is more flexible and less likely to break. I guess there may be different inductance and capacitance properties but these will be very small and will not be significant at audio frequencies. It's only when you get to very high frequencies that you need to consider cable properties of this type.

I read somewhere that oxygen free copper is about 1% less resistive than "normal" copper but given how little resistance there is in cable anyway this also won't be significant.

For a scientific explanation this Wiki page is excellent. I know you can't trust everything on Wiki but this is sensible stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speaker_wire

I know there will be some here who don't believe it because they can "hear a difference". Nevertheless the scientific and engineering community know it to be true.

Chris

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Vladimir said:
bigboss said:
Vladimir said:
SteveR750 said:
What about solid core? Or is stranded better (skin effect, or similar perhaps??)

Solid core is better.

Why?

Unbendable.

imagejpeg

Unbowed, unbent, unbroken...

SteveR750

Solid is cheaper (at B&Q anyway). I like unbendable, plus it's easier to insert a solid core into a terminal than faffing about with all those hairs. Their twin and earth ring main is rated to 30 amps, somewhat below the alleged capability of hi fi amp transients. How convenient that into an 8 ohm load that is 240V...maybe they knew all along.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts