Speaker cable life expectancy?

cristphoto

Apr 14, 2020
Visit site
Is there a guideline for how long speaker cables will last? I was adding a component recently and got a close-up look at my speaker cables that are about 20-25 years old. They're 12 gauge with a clear jacket so I could see the strands and they appeared to have lost their bright copper color. Looked dull brown to me. There wasn't any green corrosion color but I'm curious if there is an age limit. Thanks.

I don't think they should concern you but it might be an idea to cut a little off each end and re-connect whatever type of fittings you have on them.
Are they bare-wire or do they have banana plugs etc?
Should be OK unless exposed to strong sunlight for years.
If in doubt replace with some cheapish 79 strand cable or the like.

abacus

Actually it is not the copper but the clear PVC covering that has discoloured over time which makes the copper look like it has lost its brightness, however unless the outer sheath is brittle don’t worry about it. (If it has become brittle just get some decent quality 2.5mm sq. copper cable (Which doesn’t need to cost a lot)

Bill

cristphoto

Apr 14, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. All the cable is run through my ceiling and walls except for about 6 feet at the speaker and amp ends. Only the amp end has access to window light but indirectly.

TRENDING THREADS