Speaker Cable Length?

Torres09

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
I recently got some Supra Rondo speaker cable, there approx 4mtr each from amp to speaker, I only really need 1.5mtr to each....

So, does it make any difference the shorter the cable?? Or should I just leave well alone?

Cheers...........

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Torres09:
I recently got some Supra Rondo speaker cable, there approx 4mtr each from amp to speaker, I only really need 1.5mtr to each....

So, does it make any difference the shorter the cable?? Or should I just leave well alone?

Cheers...........

Either cut it to the length you need and sell the excess (what I would do), or leave it and coil it up a bit.

Some good news today at last Nando?!

A

Anonymous

Do not coil! Induction, Will Robinson, Induction!

Run the cable up and down the floor instead.

-N-

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Neon K:

Do not coil! Induction, Will Robinson, Induction!

Run the cable up and down the floor instead.

-N-
really, its speaker cable?

A

Anonymous

The length he's talking about - it's probably fine, if it's only a couple of coils. But who knows? I don't!

DavidNorway

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Torres09:

Cheers...........

I would leave them as they are,you never know when you might want to move those speakers,maybe try your speakers further apart,i have mine a good 4.5m apart and it gives them a really open sound which i personally love,many of my friends think there to close but we all like a different sound.

scene

Neon K:
The length he's talking about - it's probably fine, if it's only a couple of coils. But who knows? I don't!

A 4m length vs. a 1.5m length will make very little perceptible difference if the cable is of a decent weight, i.e. you won't get a huge difference in signal loss. However, the longer length will be more susceptible to picking up interference, especially as it's going to end up coiled up somewhere, probably behind your amp, with all those power cables, etc.

If it's got pre-fitted crimped or air-lock plugs, you don't want to be changing them, otherwise, I'd be tempted to cut one of the cables in half - to give you 2x2m lengths (I always find a little slack is useful) and save the spare 4m for other use, even bi-amping / bi-wiring...

DavidNorway

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
What is a normal distance between speakers?as i said above mine are a good 4.5m apart,alot of friends have them only 1.5to 2.0m apart,its a very different sound,is there a standard distance?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
scene:Neon K:

A 4m length vs. a 1.5m length will make very little perceptible difference if the cable is of a decent weight, i.e. you won't get a huge difference in signal loss. However, the longer length will be more susceptible to picking up interference, especially as it's going to end up coiled up somewhere, probably behind your amp, with all those power cables, etc.

If it's got pre-fitted crimped or air-lock plugs, you don't want to be changing them, otherwise, I'd be tempted to cut one of the cables in half - to give you 2x2m lengths (I always find a little slack is useful) and save the spare 4m for other use, even bi-amping / bi-wiring...

I don't think he's talking about unequal lengths.

scene

Gerrardasnails:scene:Neon K:

I don't think he's talking about unequal lengths.
I've just re-read my post, and it is a bit unclear... Sorry.
emotion-10.gif

I didn't think Torres09 meant he was going to cut the cable to two unequal lengths, I thought he was talking about shortening them both to 2x1.5m. I just thought, all things being equal, that cutting one down to 2x2m lengths might be the best approach, as this gave 0.5m of play for moving speakers around, etc, and left him with 1x4m length for other use...

Torres09

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:Torres09:

Cheers...........

Either cut it to the length you need and sell the excess (what I would do), or leave it and coil it up a bit.

Some good news today at last Nando?!

Yep Gerrard, onwards and upwards (Literally).............good riddance I say

Your quite correct the both length's are 4mtrs............my system is in my office and space is limited so I can't move them further apart, I'll cut em to 2 x 2mtr lengths

jiggyjoe

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
You usually want to form an equal triangle from speaker distance apart to listening position.

so if your speakers are 4m apart you want to be sitting about 4m away!!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts