Speaker cable for Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all, 

Thank you for all your posts on this forum as it has helped me to put together a great sounding hifi for half the cost price, but now I'm a bit stuck. The system sounds great but I feel it can give me more.

I am looking for a speaker cable to compliment my speakers in a sub/sat system. I am a bass junkie and I have chosen a sub/sat system so the sub can be switched off  when I know the people above and below me are at home (roll on to the days I can live in a detached house, away from any neighbours!)

So, I'm looking for a cable that will make these speakers sound even better!  As I start my PGCE in september, I want to complete the project in the next few weeks. What cable can you recommend and what will be the approx. costs (2x4m runs). At present, I am thinking of Atlas Hyper 2.0 or Chord Odyssey 2.

I am currently using Silver anniversary XT with Arcam FMJ A32 and CD73T.

Many thanks in advance. 

A

Anonymous

I use the Odyssey 2 and think it's superb. You may already know but this goes for £20/m and terminations usually cost £3-50 a pop. Ebay might have some a bit cheaper if you want to take the plunge. See if you can borrow one or two different cables from you local dealers.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I don't think the ProAcs or the CD73 are particularly strong on deep bass. The ProAcs are wonderful speakers, very involving and musical but they will never have too strong bass, they are also quite difficult to drive. In your position I would add a power amp, place them slightly closer to the walls or rigid stands and in time think about changing your CD player to something better.

A nice system now, but will be better with the above.

On the cable I use QED SA XT in my living room and it's great for detail, but again it's not bassy. Nice cable mind.

Don't ruin the great sound with a sub.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
Hello, I'm the person below you. Ditch the sub... please.
emotion-4.gif

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
igglebert:JoelSim:

sighs

You'll hear the ProAcs on Wednesday. Not ideally situated but still very enjoyable. Listening to them now in the kitchen as I've just had to do my annual tax form being a limited company.

sighs

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
igglebert:JoelSim:

sighs

You'll hear the ProAcs on Wednesday. Not ideally situated but still very enjoyable. Listening to them now in the kitchen as I've just had to do my annual tax form being a limited company.

sighs

A

Anonymous

The trick to getting decent sub-bass on small speakers is to stick them on a huge wooden oak table...I put my Missions on ours today and I was getting 20hz easily!

A

Anonymous

Very happy with Atlas Hyper 2.0 with my kit, if that helps any.

A

Anonymous

I also use Atlas Hyper 2 with my Naim and Neat set up, and very happy with too.

A

Anonymous

I second Chord Odyssey 2. I used terminated none brand electrical cable for a long time which was fantastic, but thought I'd see what the big guys had to offer. Bought some QED SA XT cable and was dreadfully disappointed, detailed but far too bright and cold. They were straight on Ebay and in came the Chord Odyssey 2 at £15 a metre. I was scared at the prospect because I used it for my entire home cinema (30m) but the sound was way, way ,way better than anything I had heard. Open and detailed and the bass is full bodied and tight. I've not heard the Chord Carnival SS but I would probably now consider it for my rear channels, but it wasn't out at the time.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
"Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as
kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills and
listening to repetitive music."

That'd never happen. Being chased by funny looking ghoulies too, while trying to get to the cherries.

A

Anonymous

gpi:Hello, I'm the person below you. Ditch the sub... please.
emotion-4.gif

How low do the Proacs go? Because subjectivism is now king I can't find out. They look dinky and if you want real bass you will probably have to have a sub.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Pro sub here too. Unless you have very big speakers, a sub can improve the overall sound.

Even my little MJA Pro 50 improves the lower registers of my Dali Ikon 6 (Although I would like a bigger one.)

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
fr0g:Pro sub here too. Unless you have very big speakers, a sub can improve the overall sound.

Even my little MJA Pro 50 improves the lower registers of my Dali Ikon 6 (Although I would like a bigger one.)

Wouldn't we all.
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

The specs of the proacs say that the frequency response goes down to 38-40Hz but, due to their size, they apparently start to roll off at about 80Hz.ÿThe Rel Q150e sub is set to about 41ish Hz, with a little volume on the knob.

I find whilst listening to some music (anything from Bent to Logic Bomb) that the sub adds an extra warmth to the sound. Its like the sub adds a "fullness" to the music. When I switch the sub off, that "fullness" is less. Not taking anything away from these superb speakers, why have less when you can have more?

If I switch the proacs off, (the sub is connected to the second speaker output on my amp) ÿthe sound coming from the sub is a small audiable wub, wub, wub, very similar to queuing outside a club. This I find helps with the overall sound.

The Proacs are amazing little speakers and little is what the missus requested (though they are on partington dreadnaught broadsides)

I was wondering if the ÿChord Odyssey or Atlas Hyper recommended by you would remove the flexibility of being able to turn the bass down, or would they just make me grin, sit back, and repeat the mantra, "WHAT? ITS NOT THAT LOUD! THATS WHAT NEW SPEAKERS SOUND LIKE!"

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts