Speaker cable/DIY alternative.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am needing to purchase some new speaker cable after moving house. I have always used tried to use decent quality cable although a friend has told me about using DIY cat5 cable as an alternative.
http://www.venhaus1.com/diycatfivecables.html
Has anybody heard of this or experienced it first hand.

I would be interested to hear if anyone has tried it.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Jimmyb983"]
I am needing to purchase some new speaker cable after moving house. I have always used tried to use decent quality cable although a friend has told me about using DIY cat5 cable as an alternative.

http://www.venhaus1.com/diycatfivecables.html

Has anybody heard of this or experienced it first hand.

I would be interested to hear if anyone has tried it.
[/quote]

Speaker wires should be as thick as possible. That's all there is to it.

A

Anonymous

im sorry but thats just BS... otherwise you would see all the most expensive speakers cable made of wires thicker than telephone cables - and it just aint so! there is much more science involved than "bigger is better".

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="ifitsoundsgoodlistentoit"]im sorry but thats just BS... [/quote]

Considering you're talking to your old chum Oldphrt, is it any surprise?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="ifitsoundsgoodlistentoit"]there is much more science involved than "bigger is better".[/quote]

Such as?

In fact there isn't. No cable, regardless of cost, will outperform a large diameter stranded copper cable. The manufacturers of exotic cables know it, they just don't want you to know it.

It wouldn't be expensive to suck it and see.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="hifikrazy"]Considering you're talking to your old chum Oldphrt, is it any surprise?[/quote]

Your name appears to be very apt. WTF are you on about???

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Nigel Proctor"][quote user="hifikrazy"]Considering you're talking to your old chum Oldphrt, is it any surprise?[/quote] Your name appears to be very apt. WTF are you on about???[/quote]

Well, in case you really have no connection to our cynical geriatric friend, I would suggest that you look for a brother that you don't know of who was separated from you at birth.

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Nigel Proctor"][quote user="ifitsoundsgoodlistentoit"]there is much more science involved than "bigger is better".[/quote]

Such as?

In fact there isn't. No cable, regardless of cost, will outperform a large diameter stranded copper cable. The manufacturers of exotic cables know it, they just don't want you to know it.[/quote]

This is trademark oldphrt....Clues: First, a "statement of truth" in no uncertain terms. Next, a conspiracy theory involving (a) hi-fi manufacturers (b) hi-fi magazines. And when he's feeling extra generous, he'll throw in some theories involving snake oil, psychobabble or placebo effect.

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Nigel Proctor"]The manufacturers of exotic cables know it, they just don't want you to know it.[/quote]

If that was true wouldn't that be a trading standards issue?

Why don't you take some legal action on them? If its is scientifically provable then you will win

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="ifitsoundsgoodlistentoit"]im sorry but thats just BS... otherwise you would see all the most expensive speakers cable made of wires thicker than telephone cables - and it just aint so! there is much more science involved than "bigger is better".[/quote]

Aha!! But those manufacturers of expensive speaker cables don't want you to know that, hence they make their wires with thin cables to deceive you! Not to mention if you used submarine power cables on your speakers, the weight may drag them off your speaker stands.

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="ifitsoundsgoodlistentoit"]there is much more science involved than "bigger is better"[/quote]

Of course there is! Oldphrt likes to spout science without subscribing to some of the most inportant tenents of science.

As I have said before a theory is always an ongoing evolution requiring testing. Oldphrt is entrenched in a theory which was first developed in the 20's or 30's (possibly earlier). His belief in this theory is absolute and is more like an act of faith which by definition requires no testing.

Now I am getting used to him that it is becoming quite amusing. I am temped to spell something wrong and see how he sarcastically picks up on that! What a Hoot!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Anton90125"] If that was true wouldn't that be a trading standards issue?[/quote]

The companies are careful to keep their claims outside the realms of science and I think trading standards have far more important things to do.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="hifikrazy"]And when he's feeling extra generous, he'll throw in some theories involving snake oil, psychobabble or placebo effect.[/quote]

You forgot 'pseudoscience' and 'audiophool'.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Oh I pay very close attention to discussions such as these...

emotion-5.gif

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Nigel Proctor"]I think trading standards have far more important things to do.[/quote]

You sure? Considering the number of audiophools out there, this could be a massive class action suit.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="hifikrazy"][quote user="Nigel Proctor"]I think trading standards have far more important things to do.[/quote]

You sure? Considering the number of audiophools out there, this could be a massive class action suit.[/quote]

Saving rich folk from being foolish is unimportant compared with counterfeit drugs etc. Nobody suffers any real pain from being ripped off if they are unaware of it.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="hifikrazy"][quote user="Nigel Proctor"][quote user="ifitsoundsgoodlistentoit"]there is much more science involved than "bigger is better".[/quote]

Such as?

In fact there isn't. No cable, regardless of cost, will outperform a large diameter stranded copper cable. The manufacturers of exotic cables know it, they just don't want you to know it.[/quote]

This is trademark oldphrt....Clues: First, a "statement of truth" in no uncertain terms. Next, a conspiracy theory involving (a) hi-fi manufacturers (b) hi-fi magazines. And when he's feeling extra generous, he'll throw in some theories involving snake oil, psychobabble or placebo effect.[/quote]

I can't agree that hi-fi manufacturers or hi-fi magazines are involved in any conspiracy although clearly some are being swept along by the huge unquestioning public acceptance of dodgy claims.

A

Anonymous

Nice debate going on, however i might just give it a go. It is cheap enough so if it flops not much will be lost.

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
If you are interested in DIY cable take a look at:

Sorry my formatting capability disappeared : http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/ubyte2e.html and http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/spkcbl_e.html

A

Anonymous

I can't see how this can be bettered.

http://tinyurl.com/348tyw

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Nigel Proctor"]I can't see how this can be bettered.

http://tinyurl.com/348tyw[/quote]

well there's a contradiction! im sorry but you stated earlier that the thicker the cable the better - so the cable you have linked to CAN BE BETTERED - you just need to buy 12mm or 24mm or why not just get 10cm thick cable as that will be better than anything less than 10cm!!! of course the fact that the signal will be so incredibly weak by the time it reaches your speaker (if you manage to find a way to connect it that is!) is by the by :-/

A

Anonymous

[quote user="ifitsoundsgoodlistentoit"]of course the fact that the signal will be so incredibly weak by the time it reaches your speaker (if you manage to find a way to connect it that is!) is by the by :-/[/quote]

If you could connect them they would indeed be the ultimate cable. I was being boringly practical about it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts