Speaker and Receiver advice - Thought I had it sorted...

Qwalme

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

So after reading the magazine I thought I had decided on the system I just had to own, but I'm not so sure now. My principle concern is that it might be overkill for my room size and that I could see the same performance from a cheaper option. Ok so here it is:

Room size 3.5m x 5m

Confirm gear - PS3, Panasonic TH-42PX70

Option 1 - KEF KHT3005SE, Onkyo TX-SR605

Option 2 - KEF KHT1005.2, Onkyo TX-SR505

For the size of our room would we see a difference between the above, or different combination of the above??

Spanner in the works: A dealer I contacted for prices said that the Harmon Kardon receivers and Audica speakers would be better option for my price range but is he just trying to sell the stuff in his store? I don't see any reviews of the H&K's and no review of the Audica AVS System 2 - Any opinions on those?

Thanks for any input people!!!

Richard.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The retailer's either a) really keen on HK and Audica or b) not an Onkyo/KEF stockist. The Audica speakers are definitely well worth auditioning - personally, I happen to really like them - but I'd stick with the TX-SR605. My choice from your two options would be 1)

Qwalme

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the reply Andrew.

I think the retailer is not an onkyo or KEF stockist tbh. Regarding the speakers, you obviously rated the KEF's best of 2007 but how would the Audica satillites compare to those new 1005.2's, have you had a chance to rate them yet (or plan to soon?)?

I think I'll follow your advice on the receiver and go with the 605 (I hear they do a black finish - to please the boss).

Thanks

Rick

A

Anonymous

what about the marantz SR4/5002? (also available in black) more musical and not as ugly

if you go for the 1005.2's there's practically no point in having the HD-DTS/Dolby dts anyway

the 3005's are fantastic, a nice alternative is the B&W M1's with a REL Quake at about the same price

:)

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Haven't heard the 1005.2s yet - only got the press release last week! - but I reckon the Audica satellites would work very well indeed with the 605.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts