Speaker advice

espider

May 31, 2016
Visit site
Hi, as a new member I am looking for advice on speakers. I know I it's a question of personal preference and I will audition as many as possible but, as this will be my first change of speakers for 35 years, help in putting together a short list would be really appreciated! I am looking to spend up to £700 to replace my trusty Tannoy Stratfords to run with:

Arcam Alpha 6 amp

Marantz CD 6003

Rega Planar 2 w/ Rega Bias (?) cart.

in a predominantly soft-furnished 16' x 18' room.

I am undecided between stand mounts (e.g. B&W 685 S2, Monitor Bronze 2, QA 3020, QA Concept 20, Quad S1, Dynaudio Emit M10) or floorstanders (QA 3050, QA2050i, Monitor Bronze 6, ).

I have access to but have yet to try some old B&Ws - 602 S3s. Were they the 685s of their day?

ANY ADVICE GRATEFULLY RECEIVED

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Personally my money would be on Monitor Audio Silver 1's in that price range and they ought to suit Arcam amplification nicely. But I'm not a lover of oodles of bloaty bass which is why my preference tends to be with small standmounters unless the room is very big. But the Silvers should cope fine in your room size.

A few questions though.

Do you intend on upgrading any other components in due course? I'm just thinking if you were going to consider a new amp in the next year say, that you might try auditioning these together with your future amp in mind. Also, is there anything about your current set-up you feel is lacking? Is your room ok at handling bass or do you have trouble with it at times? And finally, do you need to place your speakers quite close to the wall?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Yes hearing them is best preferably home demo. I don't think Arcam and B&W really go that well together. You could add Tannoy Precision 6.1s which were £900 but can be had for around £450 now to your list.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Out of all the speakers mentioned so far in this thread, I think the Tannoy Stratfords will sound the best (assuming they're in full working order).

Save yourself £700 and stick with your Tannoys.

thewinelake.

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
You're in a similar situation to me. I have listened to nearly all the speakers on your list and found the floor-standers to be not quite up to it. My experience with new speakers is that you have to get to MA Silver 6 level before floorstanders can deliver an agile-enough sound. I found QA 3050's to be a little ponderous. I would add Emit M20 to the list, as I found that significantly better than M10. Also Focal Aria are excellent (if a little ugly?)

However, in that room, I would probably go for second hand floorstanders of a good make - eg. AVI or ProAc or something like that.

The other one that might be worth considering at a discount if you like the Tannoy sound would be Tannoy XT6F?

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
lindsayt said:
Out of all the speakers mentioned so far in this thread, I think the Tannoy Stratfords will sound the best (assuming they're in full working order).

I find myself agreeing with Lindsayt *shok* *yes3*

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
thewinelake. said:
You're in a similar situation to me. I have listened to nearly all the speakers on your list and found the floor-standers to be not quite up to it. My experience with new speakers is that you have to get to MA Silver 6 level before floorstanders can deliver an agile-enough sound. I found QA 3050's to be a little ponderous. I would add Emit M20 to the list, as I found that significantly better than M10. Also Focal Aria are excellent (if a little ugly?)

However, in that room, I would probably go for second hand floorstanders of a good make - eg. AVI or ProAc or something like that.

The other one that might be worth considering at a discount if you like the Tannoy sound would be Tannoy XT6F?

I doubt you will find AVI 40s, if you can they won't be £700 if in good condition. PMC or Kefs I would consider. I generally agree think you need to spend a bit for decent floorstanders. Some Tannoys are heavily discounted. I remember the PMCs are twice the price for the equivalent floorstanders.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Electro said:
lindsayt said:

I find myself agreeing with Lindsayt   *shok*  *yes3*

Me too

ajgeorge79

Aug 9, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

As a new member, I would need some help on deciding which subwoofer to purchase. I have a cambridage audio 651A integrated amplifier which is connected to a pair of JBL LS40 bookshelve speakers. I am looking to buy a subwoofer to complete the setup. The options i have are JBL LS120p, M&K V10, Revel B1. They are all at the same price point. I am leaning more towards the M&K since i have always wanted to own an M&K product but have never had a chance to audition them. Is M&K still making good speakers as they used to do 10 years back ? Also there are not many reviews on any of the products that i have shortlisted. I am looking for a subwoofer which is extremely musical. Appreciate your help and suggestions. Thanks.

gasolin

ajgeorge79 said:
Hi,

As a new member, I would need some help on deciding which subwoofer to purchase. I have a cambridage audio 651A integrated amplifier which is connected to a pair of JBL LS40 bookshelve speakers. I am looking to buy a subwoofer to complete the setup. The options i have are JBL LS120p, M&K V10, Revel B1. They are all at the same price point. I am leaning more towards the M&K since i have always wanted to own an M&K product but have never had a chance to audition them. Is M&K still making good speakers as they used to do 10 years back ? Also there are not many reviews on any of the products that i have shortlisted. I am looking for a subwoofer which is extremely musical. Appreciate your help and suggestions. Thanks.

make your own thread instaed of posting in somebody's elses thread okay

gasolin

I have Dynaudio Emit 10 and i like them

Yes i have heard the emit 20 is better, don't know how, but i don't have the space for then since i have a 34" pc monitor on my desk, that why i have emit 10's.

The emit 10 are for small rooms and the emit 20 is for larger room, no to say the emit 20 has more power since they both are rated at 86db where the 10's are 6 ohm and the 20's 4 ohm, not alot in power, mabye 1-2 db with most amps and rated at the same frequency responce 50 Hz – 23 kHz.

Since 1-2 db is only at max spl you won't notice the diffrence, but the 10's with 6ohm might be an easier load for the amp.

In my signature you can see what i have, with that i feel the sound is very neutral, (mabye a bit warm sound because of the amp), very good bass,not muddy,boomy for the size very good if you play some music with good sound and you can hear the can handle alot of power så uner 100watt is a piece of cake

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts