Speaker Advice for New System (Edited)

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Well definately sooner than I expected.....it looks like the upgrade bug has hit and I now have new equipment on the way. I must admit though it was too good an offer to let go.....so as of next week it looks like I am the proud owner of the following equipment:

Roksan Caspian M1 Pre Amp

Roksan Caspian M1 Power Amp

Roksan Caspian M1 CD Player

Interconnects / Speaker Cable and even a Goldring PA1 Phono Amplifier thrown in.

Less than £1,500 makes me a very very happy bunny at the moment.

Obviuously need to look at speakers to partner with this equipment as I think I will soon give up listening via my Castle Richmonds.

Any suggestions on suitable speakers.....preferably standmount at the present time.

[:D]

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
congrats, i haven't heard the caspian pre/power but the cdp is fantastic and looks like you got it all for a great price!
emotion-21.gif

it will help with suggestions if you can give room dimensions and whether they can go in free space or close to a wall, what type of sound you are after, and budget.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
OK as suggested by Craig and hoping to get some logical advice on speaker suggestions.......

My listening room is currently approximately 11 foot by 9 foot large. The speakers at the moment will unfortunately need to be shelf mounted (so looking for standmounters)..........approximately 5 foot apart, and sit 24 cms from the rear wall. I know this isnt ideal but we will be moving in approximately 6 months and they will then be mounted on dedicated stands......so can live with this for the time being.

Budget would be anywhere in the region of £1,200 but again would look at ex demo or second hand as well as I think this equipment could easily warrant a speaker which could cost up to £2,000 new.

As for sound I dont want anything that is too clinical.....I like a natural revealing sound which digs deep into the music and hopefully picks up the detail. Longer term I would probably look at adding a second power amp and bi-amping the speakers.

I'm really lost on this at the moment and was thinking the following should be a starting point:

Neat Petite SX

Dynaudio Focus 110

PMC DB1i

ATC SCM11

Any other suggestions guys and hope this all makes sense
emotion-2.gif

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I think you might struggle with the Dynaudios being that close to the wall as they generally need quite a lot of space.

The DB1is tend to like a bit of room to work their best too, but are a little easier to position than the Dyns. They're a lively sounding little speaker, but I find their midrange is a little distorted/muddled in comparison to the competition.

Of those you mention, the SCM11s will be the easiest to accommodate, as their sealed cabinet tends to eliminate much of the interference that room boundaries cause. I've never been a fan of the ATCs with Roksan, but give them a try as some will.

Another one to add to your audition list would be the ProAc Studio 115, which is a front ported design, and needs no more room than most of the others mentioned. Many people like their sweetness, others like their all round abilities with different types of music, but whatever people like about them, there seems to be a lot of people joining their growing number of owners.

Also worth trying are the KEF XQ20's, which have a great midrange, with excellent imaging abilities thanks to their UniQ drivers. Again, front ported for easier placement, but these are a little leaner than some, so won't suffer with bass issues as easily.

I've not heard those particular Neats, so can't comment on this, but Neat don't seem to be the company that makes lean sounding speakers, so not sure about their suitability. But if you can try some, they can sound fantastic on the right system.

Jason36:
OK as suggested by Craig and hoping to get some logical advice on speaker suggestions.......

My listening room is currently approximately 11 foot by 9 foot large. The speakers at the moment will unfortunately need to be shelf mounted (so looking for standmounters)..........approximately 5 foot apart, and sit 24 cms from the rear wall. I know this isnt ideal but we will be moving in approximately 6 months and they will then be mounted on dedicated stands......so can live with this for the time being.

Budget would be anywhere in the region of £1,200 but again would look at ex demo or second hand as well as I think this equipment could easily warrant a speaker which could cost up to £2,000 new.

As for sound I dont want anything that is too clinical.....I like a natural revealing sound which digs deep into the music and hopefully picks up the detail. Longer term I would probably look at adding a second power amp and bi-amping the speakers.

I'm really lost on this at the moment and was thinking the following should be a starting point:

Neat Petite SX

Dynaudio Focus 110

PMC DB1i

ATC SCM11

emotion-2.gif

Hi Jason36

I'll recommend ATC's SCM11 or the SCM19 monitors. The ATC's are closed box designs and more importantly are flat and honest enabling them to be placed close to walls with the LF in particular getting itself into a twist.

I have clients who are happily using Caspian series components with ATC passive monitors. The low distortion, uncoloured, natural, stable and powerful presentation of these ATC monitors will enable the qualities of your electronics to shine through. The monitors big performance potential will also accomodate any additions/upgrades such as power amplifiers.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
out of the speakers you have mentioned, i would rule out the focus 110s as they need way more space then 24cm behind them, the db1i also - although they don't need as much space as the dyn's. i can't comment on the neats. which leaves atc.
emotion-2.gif
they will definitely be ok 24cm from the wall, you might even prefer them closer. i think they would suit based on the kind of sound you want ("i like a natural, revealing sound...") also read lots of very positive remarks regarding bi-amping atcs, too; so will grow with your system.

A

Anonymous

I'd also listen to:

Spendor

Vienna Acoustics

Totem (Arros)

Sonus Faber

Wilson Benesch

In other words, I'd go out and do preliminary listening to a lot wider selection of speakers rather than limiting myself to a shortlist to begin with. There are also many fine speakers that don't get reviewed but might just be the ones that suit you best, and equally there are many whose reviews don't tell you how good they are.

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Jason36:

Neat Petite SX

Dynaudio Focus 110

PMC DB1i

ATC SCM11

emotion-2.gif

Good choices except for the ATC's. I've driven them on Caspian but I felt that they were a little bit too power hungry so couldn't get the best from them. Not enough watts. My Caspian is 70 watts a side into 8 ohms. For ATC's you really need a minimum of 100 a side into 8 ohms.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Well I will be driving them with a Caspian M Series 1 Pre / Power Combination and I believe the Power Amp provides 85 watts into 8 Ohm across. They sound as though they may be the best option because of placement to a rear wall at 24 cm (only a home demo will tell for sure really).

Also the ProAc Studio 115 because they are front ported may be an option.

Lots of comments and recommendations for me to try out there guys.......although I think the only spendors I would look at are the A5 and my space cant accomodate those at the moment.....maybe I will wait six months and just use my Castle Richmond speakers until we move house and then that will open up my choices of Standmounters and Floorstanders as I will have a dedicated listening room and hopefully the space to position correctly :)

Thanks for all you advice guys I will let you know how I get on and what I decide.

TRENDING THREADS