Speaker advice again... Apologies

Wilts Hobbit

Sep 24, 2021
Visit site
Hi,
Think I have narrowed down the issue to my ears with my system, think it's down to some harshness in the both treble and mid range esp with regards to vocals sounding course when at higher volumes. Currently running rega elex r and rp3, and audiolab cdt 6000 and denafrips ares ii dac through my beloved mission 753.s. I have found a company that can provide possibly upgraded components for the cross overs and the tweeters... My question is two fold has anyone used the company called willy's hifi ltd and if so any good and also is it worth spending £350 ish plus on new components for my 753's plus fitting or is there something out there that for the 500 pound outlay to sort the missions out that might be a wiser choice? Appreciate it will be down to personal taste etc... Just looking for a steer really....my hope is the advice is upgrade the missions, I have owned them from new, but any advice greatly appreciated

Din5

Jun 27, 2021
Visit site
Hi,
I have used Willy's hifi recently and found them to be very helpful and good to deal with.
I have an old pair of B&W DM110 speakers that had some blown capacitors in the crossovers, I discussed this with WIlly and he suggested the most cost effective replacements to fit, which I carried out myself with good results (N.B I replaced the components with the exact same original values). I don't doubt it's possible to smooth out some mid/high frequency harshness by altering the crossover component values, but this requires knowledge and probably measuring equipment.
Do you notice the harshness on good recordings or just with average recordings ? I had a similar issue with my Elex-R & KEF speaker combination, I think the Elex-R brought an amazing clarity and high level detail to my system, but I noticed harshness with average recordings, but not so when playing very good recordings. I have since improved the sound by replacing my Elex-R amp with an Elicit-R and the KEF speakers with Rega RX5 floor standers. I can still get some harshness with some average recordings, but not so obvious as before. I would try your Elex amp with some other speakers ( maybe the new Wharfedale Lintons) to see if the harshness is caused by the amp . And if possible try another amp with your Mission speakers.
Hope this helps..

manicm

I could be way off the mark here, but maybe the combination of your Rega amp and Denafrips DAC may be too much of a good thing.

I would look at a Wharfedale or Q Acoustics floorstander to maybe mitigate your problem, then again your Mission was supposed to be smooth?

Last edited:

Wilts Hobbit

Sep 24, 2021
Visit site
Hi,
I have used Willy's hifi recently and found them to be very helpful and good to deal with.
I have an old pair of B&W DM110 speakers that had some blown capacitors in the crossovers, I discussed this with WIlly and he suggested the most cost effective replacements to fit, which I carried out myself with good results (N.B I replaced the components with the exact same original values). I don't doubt it's possible to smooth out some mid/high frequency harshness by altering the crossover component values, but this requires knowledge and probably measuring equipment.
Do you notice the harshness on good recordings or just with average recordings ? I had a similar issue with my Elex-R & KEF speaker combination, I think the Elex-R brought an amazing clarity and high level detail to my system, but I noticed harshness with average recordings, but not so when playing very good recordings. I have since improved the sound by replacing my Elex-R amp with an Elicit-R and the KEF speakers with Rega RX5 floor standers. I can still get some harshness with some average recordings, but not so obvious as before. I would try your Elex amp with some other speakers ( maybe the new Wharfedale Lintons) to see if the harshness is caused by the amp . And if possible try another amp with your Mission speakers.
Hope this helps..
Thank you for the detailed reply much appreciated. I do notice it on good recordings too... On both its marginal in the sense its at the vocal extremities when they are stretching the range and at higher volumes, normal volumes and all is silky smooth, the higher up I get volume wise there is just this colder edge to the top end more on vocals than say cymbals. Think I might call Willy's and have a chat and see what they say. Thanks again

Wilts Hobbit

Sep 24, 2021
Visit site
I could be way off the mark here, but maybe the combination of your Rega amp and Denafrips DAC may be too much of a good thing.

I would look at a Wharfedale or Q Acoustics floorstander to maybe mitigate your problem, then again your Mission was supposed to be smooth?
You are so corect they are super smooth and the treble still is in terms of the hi end ie cymbals etc it's just an noticable edge to vocals at higher volumes and also a bit on the mid range. Maybe I need to keep the volume level down a bit 😁😁 thanks again taking the time to reply really appreciated

Wilts Hobbit

Sep 24, 2021
Visit site
I think you might be wise to spend the money on upgrading those Missions as you are going to have to spend a lot more than £500 to better then even second-hand
Thank you. I think that is the route I will take on a financial and emotional level, I have owned them from new so would be hard to swap them out for something else. Will call willy's and have a chat. As ever thank you for your valued advice

Tinman1952

You are so corect they are super smooth and the treble still is in terms of the hi end ie cymbals etc it's just an noticable edge to vocals at higher volumes and also a bit on the mid range. Maybe I need to keep the volume level down a bit 😁😁 thanks again taking the time to reply really appreciated
Interesting that the harshness 'problem' only appears at high volumes....
As you increase the volume then the room reflections have more of an effect on the frequency response. Comb filtering can occur because of the different arrival times of the sound relections. Some frequencies are cancelled where others are reinforced. Particularly if you have hard reflective surfaces in your room. Is this the case?
Many modern 'minimalist' type room designs are awful for sound quality.

Wilts Hobbit

Sep 24, 2021
Visit site
Apologies Wilts if this is mentioned somewhere, but are your 753s the later Freedoms, or the earlier version?
Hi and no worries mine are the non freedom earlier versions. Not updated the tweeters yet as had some unexpected bills come in so saving back up to do so. They are great speakers have owned mine from new, hope you find a solution, if you do please let me know. All the best.

treesey

Thanks. Just to be clear mine are the earlier version as well. I'm the 2nd owner, but fortunately the 1st chap was psychopathic about his hi-fi, and they are essentially new but run-in :)
I have another amp in mind so I'll update with any progress.

Wilts Hobbit

Sep 24, 2021
Visit site
Thanks. Just to be clear mine are the earlier version as well. I'm the 2nd owner, but fortunately the 1st chap was psychopathic about his hi-fi, and they are essentially new but run-in :)
I have another amp in mind so I'll update with any progress.
Great cheers. Good luck they are well worth persevering with IMHO. 😁

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts