Spdif purifier IFiAudio

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
iMark said:
ellisdj said:
This is someone who has take an objective standpoint to sound in the room - they have proven with measurement that they not only have a sound they want but also good sound.  Its not his use of dsp that I am referring to its his measurement and design of his listening space /  the resultant sound.

As always you're confusing the argument with acoustics. Noone says that you are wrong when you say that acoustics matter and that acoustics in a room can be improved. In fact, that's stating the bleeding obvious. 

The problem starts when you start talking about cables and other voodoo components that at best make a minute difference in sound when the big improvements/changes can be made with acoustic measures. I don't understand why this is so difficult to grasp. There are real changes and there is snake oil. This forum is a very good place to discuss these issues.

IMark its your view point that is missing the big picture.
Because you think that its possible for something to make a difference even though you havent measured it you accept you heard it.
Your example of closing the curtains I bet you couldnt measure that change in fact i know you wouldn't but you say you hear a difference.

Its the same thing just in a different context so we are all using subjective opinions to form our hifi decision making process in one stage or another.
Or we are going the whole hog like the chap in the video.

Fair play to anyone going the whole hog but if your not then its not fair to critique someone else who isnt either.

All that can be judged is the sound someonw is creating. If we could demo that on here the forum would be a better place.

iMark

ellisdj said:
IMark its your view point that is missing the big picture. Because you think that its possible for something to make a difference even though you havent measured it you accept you heard it. Your example of closing the curtains I bet you couldnt measure that change in fact i know you wouldn't but you say you hear a difference.

Its the same thing just in a different context so we are all using subjective opinions to form our hifi decision making process in one stage or another. Or we are going the whole hog like the chap in the video.

Fair play to anyone going the whole hog but if your not then its not fair to critique someone else who isnt either.

All that can be judged is the sound someonw is creating. If we could demo that on here the forum would be a better place.

You just keep repeating yourself without trying to understand what I wrote in my previous post. The example of closing curtains? That has a real effect on sound. It can be both heard and measured. And the effect is infinitely greater on the overall sound than changing a cable. I can't be bothered with acoustic improvements to our room. But I fully understand why other people do it. There are audible and measurable effects. That's science, not snakeoil.

I would concetrate on things that have an effect and forget about the snakeoil.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
iMark said:
ellisdj said:
IMark its your view point that is missing the big picture. Because you think that its possible for something to make a difference even though you havent measured it you accept you heard it. Your example of closing the curtains I bet you couldnt measure that change in fact i know you wouldn't but you say you hear a difference.

Its the same thing just in a different context so we are all using subjective opinions to form our hifi decision making process in one stage or another. Or we are going the whole hog like the chap in the video.

You just keep repeating yourself without trying to understand what I wrote in my previous post. The example of closing curtains? That has a real effect on sound. It can be both heard and measured. And the effect is infinitely greater on the overall sound than changing a cable. I can't be bothered with acoustic improvements to our room. But I fully understand why other people do it. There are audible and measurable effects. That's science, not snakeoil.

I would concetrate on things that have an effect and forget about the snakeoil.

Curtains effecting the sound? Pull yourself together man!

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
You would never notice a signifcant change in measurements for freq rt60 inpulse or decay unless they were specially designed curtains. However you can probably hear the change just from the covering of glass.

If you measure a reflection from wood glass and brick it will measure the same but i know one professional acoustician who says no glass sorry gazzip mate.
I know yours is special glass mate so you might get away with it lol :)

Unless you try measuring a room and treating it you dont know just how much is needed to make a measured difference. But an audible difference you dont need a lot at all. Its just an example of how peoole accept subjective opinions on somethings and not others just because of a mindset. I can understand that mindset don't get me wrong and i am happy for you to have that. Each makes their own mind up but at least after giving it a good try first.

Oldphrt

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
abacus said:
Another load of hyped up junk, don’t waste your money, as the difference will be none to zero. (Just ask any pro music engineer, or get your school science books out)

Why are there so many con merchants in Hi Fi?

Bill
Because there are so many rich and clueless audiophools?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I made the mistake of trying to post just now, but it all got destroyed by the site web software.

Perhaps there is a case for qualified people to design technical products.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Oldphrt said:
abacus said:

Another load of hyped up junk, don’t waste your money, as the difference will be none to zero. (Just ask any pro music engineer, or get your school science books out)

Why are there so many con merchants in Hi Fi?

Bill
Because there are so many rich and clueless audiophools?

Fantastic. Another all knowing individual making a useful contribution after only 4 posts ... .

Way to go. Can't wait for more from you.

avole

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
opinions don't rely on post counts. No need to get narky because somebody doesn't agree with you. Besides, you might in the dim and distant future discover they were actually right, then you'd look a proper nit.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
tonky said:
The totally stupid username (oldphrt) and his ridiculous contribution somehow gives the game away that his is a wind up. I think it will take a long time wait for a sensible post.

tonky

Oldphrt or Fred Scuttle as he is often known has been around for many years on different forums and pretty much posts the same things over and over again, he is anti everything but he seems to enjoy himself so no harm done to anyone.

He would probably turn out to be a nice bloke if you ever met him. *biggrin*

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
avole said:
opinions don't rely on post counts. No need to get narky because somebody doesn't agree with you. Besides, you might in the dim and distant future discover they were actually right, then you'd look a proper nit.
Unfortunately they don't. If they did he'd probably be crossed off for trolling.

Wise cracking one liners dont make for good reading. If you have something to say at least explain your position and reasons.

I live in hope.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts