Sources, Receivers and Speakers...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Greetings all

I have been trawling this world wide web thing far and wide of late looking for the best setup for my new 'home cinema room' (spare bedroom). The room is 11'x12' and does contain a double bed so space, while there is still a fair amount, is not what I would call ample. I am not really looking for floorstanding speakers, but they can look gorgeous so I am not closed to the idea. Size and looks aren't everything, but they help. But that's not all I need help with.

I am a hi-fi/home cinema noob (I believe that is the correct term). I apologise for any idiot mistakes I make but I am trying to learn as much as I can as quickly as I can. I have now established that I need the following; I have also included what I currently have and what I am thinking of buying.

Budget: £2-3k (this is for a pre-recorded source, receiver, speakers and all cables and accesories.)
  • Television: TX-32LXD700 (owned)
  • Source: SKY HD (owned), Toshiba HD-XE1, XBOX 360 (owned), Wii (owned)
  • Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR605
  • Speakers: Mission E80 5.1 Package
Now come the questions...
  • Is there a HD-DVD player with HDMI 1.3 for the improved sound performance in conjunction with the HDMI 1.3 compatible SR605? I think the latest issue said the HD-XE1 is.
  • Should I commit to an HD-DVD player now - I have always backed the format over Blu-Ray but is it wise? Should I perhaps purchase a decent SD DVD upscaler; can anyone recommend a decent one?
  • Is there a better speaker package for my budget? I have always been told mission were amongst the best. Always nice to buy from a local manufacturer too.
  • Is the SR605 OTT, or is it not enough? Does it compliment the speakers well enough? Are the speakers good enough for IT?
  • Which cables should I buy!? How much do I need to spend?
There are a million more questions I should ask but I just can't think of anything else right now. I appreciate any help and advice in advanced. Please let me know if I need more kit than I have mentioned. I'd hate to spend all this money only to realise I need another piece of equipment.

Thanks in advance!

Wemyss

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="wemyss"]

• Is there a HD-DVD player with HDMI 1.3 for the improved sound performance in conjunction with the HDMI 1.3 compatible SR605? I think the latest issue said the HD-XE1 is.

• Should I commit to an HD-DVD player now - I have always backed the format over Blu-Ray but is it wise? Should I perhaps purchase a decent SD DVD upscaler; can anyone recommend a decent one?
[/quote]

Personally, I wouldn't until this whole format thing is sorted out one way or the other. If you wanted to minimise the investment but still get HD DVD, why not go for the HD DVD drive for the XBox360, which only cost you a little over £100? It won't give you the enhanced sound formats, but again I'd wait until you can buy a 'proper' hi-rez player with total confidence - the ones on the market so far seem a bit like a work in progress to me!

You could then afford a decent upscaling DVD player, too: I'd look at the new Denon DVD-1940 or, if the budget will stretch, the Marantz DV7001. Or indeed, given your penchant for games systems, the PS3.

[quote user="wemyss"]

• Is there a better speaker package for my budget? I have always
    been told mission were amongst the best. Always nice to buy from a
    local manufacturer too.
[/quote]

Local manufacturer? Do you live in China? ;-) Seriously though, I reckon the E80 5.1 is a very good system for the money, especially when you can find it for as little as £1000. Obvious rivals would be the Monitor Audio Radius 90AV-12, the Mission MT-30 or Tannoy's Arena system.

[quote user="wemyss"]

• Is the SR605 OTT, or is it not enough? Does it compliment the speakers well enough? Are the speakers good enough for it?
[/quote]

Yes the 605 would work well with the speakers I've suggested. The TX-SR875 is more than twice as expensive, but would work even better.

[quote user="wemyss"]

• Which cables should I buy!? How much do I need to spend?
[/quote]

Chord HDMI and Carnival Silver speaker cables, or QED Qunex HDMIs and Silver Anniversary speaker cable.

[quote user="wemyss"]

There are a million more questions I should ask but I just can't
think of anything else right now.

[/quote]

Just post 'em up as they cross your mind, and I'm sure either we or a fellow forum member will have advice to offer.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]Obvious rivals would be the Monitor Audio Radius 90AV-12, the Mission MT-30 or Tannoy's Arena system.[/quote]

I assume you mean the B&W MT-30. I'll have a good look at all the aboves and come back with any further questions I have, cheers.

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]You could then afford a decent upscaling DVD player, too: I'd look at the new Denon DVD-1940 or, if the budget will stretch, the Marantz DV7001.[/quote]

I was looking at the 1940 already. Whats the difference in quality like between the Denon and say, a sub-£100 Panasonic dvd with upscaling? I'm not being cheap, I just need to know I'm not throwing money away for a name.

Cheers

Wemyss

A

Anonymous

In follow up to this...

The room in question is sized 11ft x 12ft. I assume the small room size limits it's potential? Sadly the large living room isn't mine to utilize and my bedroom is too full of stuff (junk) to get a decent premanent viewing position.

Will these speakers dwarf the room acoustically? Is that even possible?

I assume I need to be a certain distance from some surround speakers?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="wemyss"]

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]Obvious rivals would be the Monitor Audio Radius 90AV-12, the Mission MT-30 or Tannoy's Arena system.[/quote]

I assume you mean the B&W MT-30. I'll have a good look at all the aboves and come back with any further questions I have, cheers.[/quote]

Yes, sorry, slip of the brain.

[quote user="wemyss"]

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]You could then afford a decent upscaling DVD player, too: I'd look at the new Denon DVD-1940 or, if the budget will stretch, the Marantz DV7001.[/quote]

I was looking at the 1940 already. Whats the difference in quality like between the Denon and say, a sub-£100 Panasonic dvd with upscaling? I'm not being cheap, I just need to know I'm not throwing money away for a name.

[/quote]

Better quality video processing, basically, so should give a sharper, cleaner picture.

A

Anonymous

Ok, I'm nearly there now... I think.

I have decided to go for the Onkyo TX-SR875 and either the Denon 1930 or 1940 as a source. Probably the 1940.

As for speakers, I have no idea where I want to go. These choices were recommended by someone:
Option 1: Quoted £1400.00 - Mission E80 5.1 System
Option 2: Quoted £1150.00 - LR: KEF IQ5, LRS: KEF KEF IQ8DS, C: KEF IQ6c, Sub: Rel R205
Option 3: Quoted £999.00 (£1349.00 with the BR5s) - LR: Monitor Audio BR2 or BR5, LRS: Monitor Audio BRFX, C: Monitor Audio BRC, Sub: Rel R205

Opinions? The prices quoted were from a local independant store. Not necessarily where I will get them from, but it was nice to speak to a real person about them. They said I can listed to the stereo LR fronts in store, but the rest are ordered in so I would have to buy without hearing them... I could always go somewhere else mind.

I am still on the lookout for the systems you suggested Andrew.

All feedback is appreciated.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts