Soundcard Or External DAC?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

[quote user="al7478"]Thanks! I think you mentioned in another thread that you can only connect one item to DACs, is that right or is my memory failing? Not sure if thatd be an issue yet, ill have to think about it.[/quote]
Depends on the DAC. The Trends Audio is only meant for computers, so has only one input: USB, and outputs coaxial, optical, AEB, and analogue RCA. My Benchmark takes in coaxial, optical, AEB, but the new ones take USB too. It's an awesome dac, the Benchmark. A lot of people are talking about the Beresford, you might look into that too.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="al7478"]Thanks. And i thouht there wasnt that much out there to choose from lol![/quote]
Well, like I said, there isn't, not if you want to avoid the rubbish, and don't want to fork out the cash. As you have seen, the Benchmark is getting on for a grand (though you can get the version without USB for a bit under 700) and the modded-Trend discussed above is twice the budget you gave us to begin with. The real limitation, is as I said, with the hifi DACs - we've discussed a few options with computer DACs, and I'll give you another below.

[quote user="al7478"]Thanks again for your time and patience! With the weakest link point in mind, am i looking to invest too little in a soundcard? I just wonder, as im no expert on the quality of components in these things. Anyway, 'night all![/quote]
If you're going to change the brief, and give us even more work to do, lol, I am happy to report that this won't take up much of our time since your options are even more severely limited than even in the hundred quid bracket. I don't know of any external hifi DACs in the 100-to-500 quid price range in this country (though other nations like the US may be better served). It would be great if people could point some out, to be honest, as I could use a few. Or at least ones that would offer a worthwhile improvement on the Beresford...

And it doesn't get much better with USB DACs: there are plenty in that price range, especially in the pro-audio sector, but they tend to cost more for having lots for features and inputs etc. for multitrack recording, rather than investing in upping sound quality of the DAC.

Part of the reason for this is that Digital-to-analogue conversion is already pretty good, and has been for some time. The USB DACs we've discussed have been around for years. That's not to say you can't get an improvement by spending a lot more: most regard the Benchmark DAC mentioned above as a significant step up - it's especially good at nailing the problem of jitter - but as you have seen, they cost ya.

One way to improve things is to improve certain aspects of the budget DACs where manufacturers tend to skimp to save cash, like the power-supply etc. - hence the Russ Andrews-modded Trend box mentioned above. The internet is awash with folk modding soundcards in such ways. One internal card that's a favourite of modders is the Emu 1212m, which even in its unmodded form is commonly used by hifi fans. Although an internal card, it's well-screened from interference, and has a result has better figures than many external DACs. The "m" in the "1212m" moniker stands for "mastering" grade DACs - they used the same chips for the Digital-to-analog conversion as used in the professional Pro-Tools systems. It's only about 110 quid, and you might like to consider that too.

This is the thing: if everyone's using the same chips for the DAC, it limits the gains that can be achieved. There are more recent chips, but of course, these are again going to cost. For example, the more expensive Cambridge CD players that have 384kHz DACs, and a digital input so you can use them with other gear. But, again: 500 quid. Given that you are using budget gear, gains from spending substantially more might be curtailed a bit anyway, so I don't know if you need to fret about it.

[quote user="al7478"]...you can only connect one item to DACs, is that right or is my memory failing? Not sure if thatd be an issue yet, ill have to think about it.[/quote]
of course you can connect more than one thing to some DACs - that's one of the good things about the Beresford: it has FOUR digital inputs: two coax and two optical. But surely you don't need us to point out that inputs can up the cost, and of course the size, and both of these seem to be something you don't want. The Benchmark, for example, offers balanced inputs and outputs as well. The Emu 0404, as opposed to the 0202, offers digital ins and outs, but costs twice as much and is bigger, and needs external power. Though you are not confined to just using it with a computer.

You suggested you were going to think about whether you'd need multple outputs: it depends whether you have other digital sources you'd like to upgrade. With the Beresford, you could potentially upgrade your computer, a CD player, and still have two inputs left to upgrade say a DVD player or wireless-streaming device, or PVR, or DAB radio, and so on. It's a rather cost-effective upgrade.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Thanks. Ill have to rered all this and get to the bottom line lol! By the by, i wasnt moving any goal posts. i think i just intended to say that im not sure what equipment would do justice to my gear (all be it budget, probably better standard than most sound cards in the budget rand, and the few DACs too...?) while staying on budget (again, i have the weakest link idea in mind). I could go over budget, but id need to take more time over it, and, as you say, improvements may be curtailed due to my other kit being entry level.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="al7478"]Thanks. Ill have to rered all this and get to the bottom line lol! By the by, i wasnt moving any goal posts. i think i just intended to say that im not sure what equipment would do justice to my gear (all be it budget, probably better standard than most sound cards in the budget rand, and the few DACs too...?) while staying on budget (again, i have the weakest link idea in mind). I could go over budget, but id need to take more time over it, and, as you say, improvements may be curtailed due to my other kit being entry level.[/quote]

Well, the goalposts got shifted, but I can see it might not have been your intent. I really don't think you started out wanting to spend more money, lol. I do think you could share the load a bit more though, like checking prices and dimensions better, and we still need to know if you are planning on using any digital sources in addition to the computer.

But that wasn't the main point of my post, which was to indicate how it's quite difficult to improve things beyond the 1212m even if you are prepared to spend a bit more. The best option I would consider is pairing the Behringer with the Beresford which would come in under 200... a number of people say it rivals the Benchmark, which would make sense since the Behringer adds Benchmark-like features - very low jitter, upsampling, good master clock - to a decent DAC in the Beresford. But the Behringer isn't the most handsome piece of kit and is full pro-audio rack width.

Regarding your system, it's possible it might compromise the ultimate potential of the 1212m, but I would expect you are liable to notice a worthwhile improvement nonetheless. Given you get digital in-and-outs, and it doesn't take up any desk space and is only a tenner outside the budget, surely worth considering. But it would be awkward if you wanted to use the DAC with other sources: you would always have to have the computer on, etc...

However, to get the best out of DACs that can do 192 kHz like the Emus, or even the m-audio at 96kHz, you might like to consider upsampling with something like foobar and the Secret Rabbit Code plug-in:

http://www.foobar2000.org/

http://www.mega-nerd.com/SRC/fb2k.html

You can read up on that and decide if it's for you... You won't be doing much upsampling if you choose the Trends box, however, as it only goes to 48kHz. I'm not sure how much of an improvement the modded Trend is over the stock Trend, and the latter is half the price and within the original budget. The main improvements in the mod are some internal components (liable to be related to the power supply, because that's Russ Andrews' forte), an external power pack and mains lead. But the stock unit pays pretty careful attention to power etc. in the design, it's pretty much its selling point, and you may not need an exotic mains lead if you are going to use USB.

I'm sure the Russ Andrews mods will make a difference, but not sure how the Trends stacks up against the Emu kit. It looks like the power/output stage might be a bit better, but the convertors don't look as good; limited to only 48k you won't be doing any upsampling. I don't know if you can use it as a master clock which also helps quality. The Signal to noise ratio is significantly poorer. And although it has several digital outputs, only the USB input. So you can't connect other digital sources like you can with the 0404, 1212m, and Beresford.

If, of course, you need other sources...

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Thanks again! At the moment i dont think ill be using other sources, but at some stage i may want my TV to run through my speakers. I think ill cross that bridge when i come to it tho. Sorry ive not been much help but im rubbish at this. i tend to deal in the bottom line as much as possible, but i appreciate sometimes more detail is called for, and you've been great with that.

A

Anonymous

Helisphon, you seem to have a good idea about this kind of thing, and I have a similar problem. Out of the E-MU 1212m and a good soundcard with the Beresford what do you think will give the outright best quality?

iRog

Jul 18, 2007
Visit site
Here is another option for a cheap DAC that I have come across:
http://www.coemaudio.com.au/products.php?product_id=99
I havent compared it to any other DACs so I cant comment on that, but what I can say is that it makes my laptop and my $100 Pioneer DVD sound *almost* as good as my Arcam alpha CD8SE, so for the price I'm delighted.
Only complaint is it seems to cause minor video interference on my CRT TV.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts