Soundcard Or External DAC?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
its a desktop. my ultimate goal would be to build a music server that i can navigate via my tv with a remote, but thats subject to affordability, and just now i cant do it.

A

Anonymous

A cheap method I use, is to stream from iTunes using Airport express, using Salling Clicker to remotely control the tracks via your mobile phone. Really handy since the Salling software lets you scroll through and choose tracks and playlists from the mobile phone interface, as well as adjusting volume, etc, and it will even show the cover art on your mobile phone. Dead cool, only about 20 quid for the software, plus about 60 for airport.

(Richard will probably now pop up to insist it's actually two thousand pounds...)

A

Anonymous

Im after that too, hence the Asus Xonar, can't wait. I do, to an extent do it now wirelessly with my PS3 accessing my PCs contents.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="helisphon"](Richard will probably now pop up to insist it's actually two thousand
pounds...)[/quote] You can buy it off me for 2k, if you like.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="al7478"]So, if i get a card with inferior parts to my amps, will that downgrade my listening, or will the superior stuff override the inferior...?[/quote]

Typically, the computer audio out is connected to active speakers, which contain the main amplification. That's why you usually have to plug computer speakers into the mains, unless they are battery or USB driven. In that sense, a big part of the amplification issue depends on the active speakers you choose, not just the soundcard. A soundcard can't usually drive speakers on their own. See? It's complicated...

A

Anonymous

I would get a nice card with a digital output and the Beresford DAC. As you are going to be using your NAD.

A

Anonymous

the soundcard, will be giving your computer a way of outputting digital audio, skipping all internal jiggery pokery, the Beresford will decode this signal, and the stereo outputs from the Beresford to your NAD to amplify.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
ok, cheers. im just confused by the mention of active speakers, as im not usin them. Anyway, i may have to rethink, as im not sure ive room for the beresford. i was expecting a much smaller unit. im under very tight storage constraints im afraid. ill perhaps go with something like the m-audio audiophile usb sound card, but im having a tough time deciding, as you can tell.

A

Anonymous

have a look at the Asus Xonar, its an internal soundcard. Its got very very good specifications, and that would practically solve the problem of having no room.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="richardjlarby"][quote user="helisphon"](Richard will probably now pop up to insist it's actually two thousand
pounds...)[/quote] You can buy it off me for 2k, if you like.[/quote]

I'd rather sell you one for 2k, since you seem to think it costs so much!!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="al7478"]ok, cheers. im just confused by the mention of active speakers, as im not usin them. Anyway, i may have to rethink, as im not sure ive room for the beresford. i was expecting a much smaller unit. im under very tight storage constraints im afraid. ill perhaps go with something like the m-audio audiophile usb sound card, but im having a tough time deciding, as you can tell.[/quote]

I know you're not using active speakers, and never said you did. I used the example of active speakers to reinforce a point and avoid confusion and be clear that the soundcard wouldn't be doing the main amplification; looking back at your post I originally thought you had mentioned some other stuff about op-amps and stuff but it isn't there now so maybe I was mistaken, and never mind, we've other more pressing issues, like... the fact that the Beresford isn't that big. It might look like it, but it's not a full-width hifi unit: it's only about a couple of inches wider than the m-audio!! Check the specs, lol.

(Only use the manufacturer's site this time... like with the prices, some other site probably has it listed as ten-times bigger or something...)

The m-audio will do the job, and has digital inputs and outputs unlike some in that price range. Another alternative is the Emu 0202... you don't get the extra digital I/O, but I've seen it rather cheaper, you get nice 192kHz convertors and a decent mic. pre-amp which will be useful if it turns out you ever do need to record something. It has its own low-jitter clock, headphone amp looks promising, it's bus-powered (where I think the m-audio uses an external supply) and I think the Emu is USB 2.0 compared to USB 1 for the m-audio, though this can work both ways...

In fact, I'm thinking of getting the Emu, (the Emu's bigger brother has optical and coax digital I/O, but it's twice the price... I fancy getting the little one as cheap way of adding good sound quality to a notebook with hopefully an acceptable headphone amp thrown in), though the m-audio may be preferable for you. I've seen the Emu for 65 quid, and the m-audio for 82, both at Dolphin Music. Interestingly, there's another option that had passed me by: the Behringer U-control. Small, simple, only goes up to 48kHz, but it doesn't need a separate power-supply and is only 23 quid. Looks a handy little thing, if not on a par with the others. Especially handy for a notebook. Even manages an optical out unlike the Emu.

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/flypage/product_id/8522

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
ok i think im with you, thanks very much. ill look in to all those other suggestions and check teh size of the berisford again lol! i dont think any of my other kit has optical connections, so im not sure if theyd be useful in a sound card, but then my knowledge of connections is patchy at best. not a freat characteristic in a wannabe hifi enthusiast is it? hehe!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="al7478"]ok i think im with you, thanks very much. ill look in to all those other suggestions and check teh size of the berisford again lol! i dont think any of my other kit has optical connections, so im not sure if theyd be useful in a sound card, but then my knowledge of connections is patchy at best. not a freat characteristic in a wannabe hifi enthusiast is it? hehe![/quote]

Optical in would be handy if you wanted to record a digital signal without loss. Optical out is handy on the m-audio as an AC3 pass-through, if you wanted to play games or movies, but you said you didn't want to do that. On a proper hifi DAC, digital inputs are handy if you want all your components to access the DAC, but you're unlikely to want to do that with the m-audio. There are other uses, but they tend to become increasingly esoteric...

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Thanks again. Yes, at the moment, and the foreseeable future, its purely for listening to music. There are some beautiful guitars on that dolphin site. almost makes me wish i knew what to do with one. By the by, i did mention op amps etc, just in reference to the ones in sound cards, as compared to those in my amp. the onkyo is the only card im sure has real hifi grade parts, but im probably showing my ignorance lol!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="al7478"]Thanks again. Yes, at the moment, and the foreseeable future, its purely for listening to music. There are some beautiful guitars on that dolphin site. almost makes me wish i knew what to do with one. By the by, i did mention op amps etc, just in reference to the ones in sound cards, as compared to those in my amp. the onkyo is the only card im sure has real hifi grade parts, but im probably showing my ignorance lol![/quote]

Yeah, that's why I gave the active speaker example to try and make sure you weren't confusing the role of your NAD and the soundcard in any way. Richard was right about the weakest link thing, btw: if you have a poor DAC, the amp is more likely to reveal its shortcomings than compensate, though in some cases it CAN work out: if a DAC sounds too bright and is partnered with a mellow amp, for example.

Playing guitar is, like hifi, yet another way to invest vast amounts of cash in pursuit of perfection (and variety), though an enjoyable one. Hope the DAC thing works out for you - though you never know, someone else might pop up with some more ideas...

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Thanks again for your time and patience! With the weakest link point in mind, am i looking to invest too little in a soundcard? I just wonder, as im no expert on the quality of components in these things. Anyway, 'night all!

A

Anonymous

Al7478, I've got the Trends Audio UD-10 USB DAC and am very happy with that. It's just under £100. Actually i got the pimped up Russ Andrews version, which is another £99.

A

Anonymous

They changed the internal capacitor (and maybe more), the power pack and all cabling: usb cable, DC power cable, AC power cable.
Here's a link

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Thanks! I think you mentioned in another thread that you can only connect one item to DACs, is that right or is my memory failing? Not sure if thatd be an issue yet, ill have to think about it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts