soundbars

jordan11

Dec 18, 2008
Visit site
Hi, does anyone have experience of soundbars, I am assume that they are much better than a tv's built in speakers, how do they compare to a full 5 speaker set up around the room, are they worth the expense or stick to a normal surround set up.

Do they connect direct to a tv or through an amp, or either way. I have a Panasonic TH50PZ81B and instead of running wires and speakers was curious about the Yamaha models that received 5 stars in what hifi, thanks.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
They appear to work very well indeed, especially the Yamaha 'Sound Projector' designs, which use multiple speaker drivers and clever digital signal processing to create the impression of sound coming from all around you.

Most have their own amplification built-in, but there are some models - not the Yamahas - which are just speakers, and need to be used with an external AV receiver.

To get the TV sound through them you'll need an audio output on the TV, and (depending on which soundbar you buy) other AV components can be connected to the soundbar; a few even have HDMI sound input and video switching built-in, if I recall correctly.

The only other thing you may want to add is a subwoofer, to boost the bass in larger rooms, but in smaller spaces you may find the soundbar's low-frequency handling adequate.

shado

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
Your best bet is to visit your local Dealer and have an audition. I went to Sevenoakes and listened to one they had in stock YSP 1100 and was totally impressed with it. The reason I bought mine was because I have a small odd shaped living room and I have not got the space for additional speakers. My Soundbar sits on the AV Rack and I have an optional Subwoofer hidden under a coffee table. Therefore only 1 lead trails out under the carpet from the Sound Projector. Obviously if you have room for a seperate 5.1 system dependant upon your budget, then you should explore this avenue as well. I have two in/one out HDMI cables connected to mine and one set of phono leads plus the subwoofer cable. The YSP 40D have the Upscaling connections with the HDMI. Both the 30D and 40D have DAB built in and work with the Panasonic Vierra link.

jordan11

Dec 18, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for comments one and all, sounds like the Yamaha product is a nice compact piece of kit, I think I will have to go and here it for myself.

A

Anonymous

Im thinking of getting one of these soundbars but was wondering if my PS3 could connect to it, so that I can view the blu-ray picture through the PS3 but get the sound via the soundbar?

Cheers

A

Anonymous

Almost certainly. The PS3 can output sound from optical, phono and HDMI so any soundbar will have at least one of those as an input I would have thought.

A

Anonymous

alwatson:Almost certainly. The PS3 can output sound from optical, phono and HDMI so any soundbar will have at least one of those as an input I would have thought.

So before I go and buy one, I assume I would just need to take the HDMI cable from the PS3 and connect it to the soundbar, then another HDMI cable from the unit to my TV?

I guess I could then connect some audio cable from my TV to the unit so that when watching normal TV I can get the sound from the soundbar, and turn off the volume on my TV?

A

Anonymous

That's correct assuming that the soundbar you get has an HDMI which is takes the audio from. Otherwise you'd just have to tell your PS3 to output the sound through one of the other connections and plug that in instead.

As for your TV, that's spot on. Your TV will probably have phono outputs and/or optical for sound, so just make sure whichever soundbar you have has the same connection on and you're sorted.

A

Anonymous

Thanks alwatson, thats put my mind straight.

Think I will soon be exchanging the contents of my piggy bank for the Yamaha YSP600. Hopefully it can sit under the tv without the wife even knowing Ive bought it. I'll just pretend its always been there.
emotion-43.gif

A

Anonymous

What sort of room do you have ? Whilst these have improved in quality they work best in a square room or at least with three walls (side and rear) to bounce the sound off to givt the surround effect.

If like me you have a tv with an open wall to one side (dining/familyroom/kitchen) then you may lose some of the steering of the soundbar.

Just a thought before Piggy gets a bashing.

A

Anonymous

I was gutted i missed the ysp-1100 from richer sounds when it was 300 quid. Is this one better?

http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=YAMA-YSP40D-SIL

I have a ps3 and a 1080p 40 inch sony tv

thanks in advance ;)

jordan11

Dec 18, 2008
Visit site
What hi fi team, or any other experts out who are out there, which Yamaha soundbar (black not silver), would best suit my Panasonic TH50PZ81B, I had a look at the Yamaha web page and I believe there were 6 models to choose from, my room size is 5m x 3.5m, thanks for replys in advance.

A

Anonymous

andyb190:

What sort of room do you have ? Whilst these have improved in quality they work best in a square room or at least with three walls (side and rear) to bounce the sound off to givt the surround effect.

If like me you have a tv with an open wall to one side (dining/familyroom/kitchen) then you may lose some of the steering of the soundbar.

A fair point andy, and indeed I do have an open area next to the Tv. However I know I dont want a wired speaker system and Im hoping the 'My Surround' feature will overcome this. It claims to do away with the necessity of a square room. I guess time will tell...

I see from Panasonics website that there SC-PT560 Home Cinema System has wireless rear speakers. Although not entirely 'wireless' as it seems the rear speakers have to plug into a power socket and are actually wired together (but not wired to the unit itself!) Cant find any reviews on these though.

Up to now the Yamaha is perhaps the best choice for me.

Sorry to steal your thread jordan11

shado

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
jordan11:What hi fi team, or any other experts out who are out there, which Yamaha soundbar (black not silver), would best suit my Panasonic TH50PZ81B, I had a look at the Yamaha web page and I believe there were 6 models to choose from, my room size is 5m x 3.5m, thanks for replys in advance.

The YSP1100 is the older model (3 years I think) and therefore does not have HDMI connections but is a fine quality Soundbar. The YSP 40D is its replacement and has the relevant HDMI inputs with Upscaling, Panasonic Vierra Link and DAB. These two would be about the right size for your TV as the other Models are for below 40 inches. The other models are fine but have lower power and facilities as per the Yamaha site,

Be aware the picture used in the Richer Sound link for the 40D is in fact the YSP 1100 model that is sleeker than the newer models. If you are willing to wait a little longer I believe a replacement is due out that will encode HD audio from Blu Ray.

shado

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
WarPig:andyb190:

A fair point andy, and indeed I do have an open area next to the Tv. However I know I dont want a wired speaker system and Im hoping the 'My Surround' feature will overcome this. It claims to do away with the necessity of a square room. I guess time will tell...

I see from Panasonics website that there SC-PT560 Home Cinema System has wireless rear speakers. Although not entirely 'wireless' as it seems the rear speakers have to plug into a power socket and are actually wired together (but not wired to the unit itself!) Cant find any reviews on these though.

Up to now the Yamaha is perhaps the best choice for me.

Sorry to steal your thread jordan11

There is a manual setting during set up where you can adjust for awkard shaped rooms.

A

Anonymous

Noticed some very good deals at Richer sounds and see the yamaha ysp as my ideal solution . However for my budget i have 2 options..and this is where i could use wise opinion. The ysp 30D available at £299 and outputs 82 watts or the smaller YSP 760 ( same as ysp 600) and matching yamaha subwoofer for £289 online . my room size is 15 x 12ft and tv in corner ( 42px80B )..My soundbar would be mainly for Movies. I know the ideal would to get the larger model and save for the sub but could'nt justify to wifey 2 outlays on what she sees as wholly unnecessary consumption..

A

Anonymous

Hi All

I have brought a Yamha YSP-30D and trying to connect a Sony KDL-40L4000 via HDMI.

The Sony Tv says it can be done but getting no way with it.

Is there any chance that someone can help.

Thank you

Righty

A

Anonymous

righty01:
Hi All

I have brought a Yamha YSP-30D and trying to connect a Sony KDL-40L4000 via HDMI.

Thank you

Righty

The TV won't have HDMI outs only inputs - it should have optical out or red/white phono cable outs - use either of these to get TV sound to the yamaha (I assume thats what you are trying to do!)

kjelly

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
Hi ..
Have been reading a lot online and in WhatHiFi regards the various soundabr options, and it looks like it has to be a Yamaha I go for.
However, in the abscence of a clear WhatHiFi comparative review, all is not clear and Yamaha themselves are being evasive about the question I have :-(

Regardless of their various ages...aren't the 900/1100 units exactly the same as the 30D/40D less the DAB & Video connectivity?

Some reviews do suggest this...but is it true?
I have no need of video passthrough/processing, and as I don't live in the UK I cannot take advantage of the crazy Richer Sounds offer and just buy the 40D regardless.
Thoughts please....

Razzler

Aug 25, 2008
Visit site
One quick question if I may. I am looking at the sound bar option for my Dad. Can the TV (a 42inc Samsung) actually sit on top of the sound bar, or does it require its own shelf?

A

Anonymous

Razzler:
One quick question if I may. I am looking at the sound bar option for my Dad. Can the TV (a 42inc Samsung) actually sit on top of the sound bar, or does it require its own shelf?

It may well be physically possible to perch a tv on top of a soundbar but it sounds very precarious and really not recommended! Better to get a proper piece of av furniture to house both on separate shelves or simply place soundbar in front of the tv on the same shelf.

shado

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
righty01:

Hi All

Thank you

Righty

Hi there I have the same soundbar, Go to Page 9 of the Yamaha Manual - if you have a bluray player or dvd then connect HDMI Lead to no 12 - dvd , Sky or Freeview Box HDMI Lead into connect no 11- Aux 1 and then your TV HDMI lead into connect No 13 - Out. I have also used phono leads from Sky box into Connect No 3 - Aux 1. On your remote control control press button Input mode just above the numbers allows to chose between Auto, DTS and Analog. Auto is the one associated with the HDMI connection as it looks for this one first as on Page 91. This function may only work with 5 beam so select this first rather than my surround.

Hope this helps.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts