Soundbar vs small speakers and small subwoofer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi guys, I am in grave danger of over-thinking a solution to a problem....Any advice welcomed (except give up!)

I enjoy good sound from TV and music. I prefer detailed sound to mush. Our room is 3.5 metres by 5 metres with the TV and two floor standing speakers at the narrow end. The listening room is at our house in Spain and consequently has tiled floors. Cables are a no no, So a 2.1 system makes sense. We also would prefer not to have speakers that are very deep. My two old Linn speakers need to go. Need a smart design.

So my options appear to be a soundbar/base......are any of these good with music, separation etc? Or something like a pair of Cambridge Minx(s) with a small subwoofer. It is tricky to audition decent HiFi/AV stuff in this part of Spain, everything here is from the Far East which might be good these days. I can get hold of UK gear but without audition. A recommendation as to a great soundbar musically as well as AV plus some smallish speakers that can deliver (will be on desk-type stands) would be appreciated. Other solutions welcomed.

Budget up to £600 ish.

Thanks

Hello Ray, while you are in the U.K. I suggest you call into a John Lewis, Richer Sounds, even PCWorld, and listen to the difference between a soundbar and 2.1 speakers. They are quite different, and you should prefer one or the other

For your budget, a Sonos soundbar would be safest recommendation. It is widely available.

We've had very good results in a similar sized room with a Canton soundbase, the often recommended 55 model. They do make larger ones too. It is very nicely made and operates smoothly.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts