Soundbar connection to TV without ARC & digital input

russianout

Jul 24, 2008
Visit site
I've got a Panasonic tv which doesn't have an HDMI socket with ARC. It also doesn't have an optical connection anywhere.

i was thinking of adding a soundbar , but all the ones I've looked at either have an Optical input or HDMI (1.4) with ARC.

I want to try and play DVD's thru BluRay player and TV via Sky box (which does have an Opitcal connection)

if I connect the DVD player to soundbar via HDMI input and then connect HDMI output on soundbar to HDMI (non ARC) nput on TV and then sky box via optical into soundbar, will it work?

Or , would I need to buy a new TV with ARC and/or Optical?

Apologies if this is a daft question , but I quite fancied a soundbar, but , having read up a bit, it does appear that it won't work if my TV doesn't have ARC or optical?

Any help/advice most appreciated

russianout

Jul 24, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for comments. TV does have phono out which I could use to connect to Soundbar, just trying to get my head round whether I would then connect BluRay to soundbar or direct to tv and whether sky would work connected via HDMI to tv and sounbar via optical? Have read of people with sync problems.

makes me wonder about buying new tv , but my old TV works fine, sound is ok, not brilliant, just find DVD's a bit thin now (I used to have 5.1 surround but got fed up with clutter and don't watch a lot of blu rays).

Not sure whether to buy one or not, suspect maybe not(until tv breaks but it's a panasonic plasma and it's been brilliant, really like it)

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
AFAIK soundbars don't come with HDMI in's or out's only optical or phono, so you are best hooking your blu-ray and other devices to your tv then a phono cable to the soundbar, the only other option is to get a reciever but you've allready said you don't want that.

Have you considered a soundbase where the tv sits on top of the speaker ?

russianout

Jul 24, 2008
Visit site
Yes, was looking at a Panasonic one which has HDMI , optical but also phono connections

http://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer/home-entertainment/sound-bars/sc-hte80eb.html

I might order one and see if I can get a decent sound from DVD's, if I can't then I might be as well waiting till it's time to replace the TV , buy one with ARC & Optical out

thanks for your input, most appreciated

Tarxman

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
If you get a soundbar with multiple HDMI inputs, you can connect both your Sky box and DVD player, using the soundbar as a switcher thereby negating the need for ARC, optical out or phono out. Assuming all your tv watching is done via sky.

Paul.

russianout said:
Yes, was looking at a Panasonic one which has HDMI , optical but also phono connections

http://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer/home-entertainment/sound-bars/sc-hte80eb.html

I might order one and see if I can get a decent sound from DVD's, if I can't then I might be as well waiting till it's time to replace the TV , buy one with ARC & Optical out

thanks for your input, most appreciated

Yep, that panasonic will be fine. It has HDMI out to the TV, HDMI in for the Bluray and Optical for your Sky box. You will need a third cable HDMI to go from Sky box to TV. Your TV remote should be able to control the volume of the soundbar when watching bluray useing HDMI CEC, but you will need to use your soundbar remote for volume control when watching the sky box.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts