Sound Setup Advice for Bedroom DJ

Hi All,

Looking for some help please from you experts out there ;-)

I am a bedroom DJ mostly playing deep house music and quite loud. Got some Pioneer decks hooked up in my spare room to a pretty basic sound system comprising of Yamaha AS201 Amp and Mission M33i speakers. Served me well for last year but I have blown the speakers I fear because the cone is now vibrating badly on bassey tracks and I've noticed a drop in volume output.

I am seeking a new sound system that will allow me to play my music fairly loud, and also with good bass, which is essential. Please could anyone help recommend a sound system for around the £750 mark that I could step up to?

I've had a look at some PA systems including the Cromo Club 12 speakers and various subs. Whilst nice and loud I think its just abit overkill for my spare room. On the flip side, I'm concerned that there aren't any floorstanders out there that can handle the bass and volume I regularly play at, so feeling abit stuck with what to do...

Thanks in advance for any advice!

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
The Yamaha HS8 was my suggestion then and remains so now. With your increased budget you could go to Adam A7x, comparable output but better quality, not sure you need it though.

If you need more output, get 2 pairs of HS8s, still less than £800, though for a home setup I can't see you needing more than 1 pair. Bass output is substantial in terms of power and punch though extension is limited, if you need sub bass then add the best BK subwoofer your budget allows.

Hi Dude,

Thanks for the info. I went to Dawsons and tried the HS8s out. The cones started vibrating big time once the volume was turned up to about 80% on the tracks I was playing (.wav so lossless). It didn't feel that loud although admittidly it was in large open room. I honestly feel that my current floorstanders produce more bass then the HS8s.

But I suppose if I got a sub then could tune take away more bass from HS8s and that might make things better?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Tom Szwed said:
Hi Dude,

Thanks for the info. I went to Dawsons and tried the HS8s out. The cones started vibrating big time once the volume was turned up to about 80% on the tracks I was playing (.wav so lossless). It didn't feel that loud although admittidly it was in large open room. I honestly feel that my current floorstanders produce more bass then the HS8s.

But I suppose if I got a sub then could tune take away more bass from HS8s and that might make things better?

You need to keep trying different speakers. If HS8s don't come close to doing it for you, then I am at a loss to offer any sugestions within budget.

My speakers of choice for this type of application are the Mackie HR824 but they are over budget, a little over £1000. I am, frankly, pretty surprised that you consider the HS8s to be less capable than your old system, and my initial thoughts are that there may be setup issues with the demonstration.

The HS8s are relatively cheap for what they are but they should be pretty capable in a home situation, sadly I think you need someone with the necessary expertese to see what you are doing and what you want to achieve.

Or just get a pair of these....

https://www.studiospares.com/Headphones-and-Speakers/PA-Speakers/Auditorium-2-215A-15-Active-PA-Speaker_248980.htm?ne=AQAAAAMAAAAEDFN0dWRpb3NwYXJlcw==

Thanks man! I think possibly the HS8s might work if they are on poles and at eye height in my room? Coupled with a good sub perhaps?

The PA speaker looks a bit too powerful I think. I would have thought to get a relatively low powered PA setup if I went down that route as they're gonna be so much louder anyway right?

Thanks mate!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts