Sound pressure meter

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm considering getting a cheap sound pressure meter as I'm not convinced my levels are right - especially on the sub. Questions are:

1) is it worth it (£14.99 at Maplin)

2) if so, how do I use it?

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Lee H:
Hi all,

I'm considering getting a cheap sound pressure meter as I'm not convinced my levels are right - especially on the sub. Questions are:

1) is it worth it (£14.99 at Maplin)

2) if so, how do I use it?

Got mine off of that interweb for about £20.00

Mine is the sweeping needle type, not digital read out, and Yes there so worth the small investment they cost

Generally the settings should be (as I remember)

C Weighting

Slow reading

70 dB selection

Place meter in your listening position at approx ear level, pointing upwards

Use your test tone, and set volume up so that approx 70dB registers on the scale via the needle position from one of your front speakers (normally left as this is how the test tone runs around the speakers)

Trim all other speakers to the same value with the sound meter still in the same position, try and do this with no one else in the house, windows closed to traffic noise etc. Once all speakers register the same value on the test tone sweep the job is done

Sit back and play a dvd/blu ray and enjoy

It really is as simple as that, well worth the small effort required

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
roger06:
Lee

I'm sure I read on here recently someone stating the Maplin one was no good...

Ah. Spanner in the works there then! I didn't want to spend a lot for something I'll essentially use once (maybe again next year if we move house)

Dermondo

Oct 4, 2009
Visit site
Of interest, I initially calibrated my speakers via dvd player to coaxil to amp home cinema set up.

In recently purchased a blu ray player and am using the units on board conversion and sending via multichannels outs to my denon 3802 amp (an oldie but goodie), all seemed fine until only this week I discovered by accident that I also needed to calibrate the ext. in audio settings on the amp, which when done made a world of difference, not wishing to hijack thread but I though it might be of interest, anyone else experience this.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts