Sound leakage problem - (sound proof room or hallway?)

So my bedroom is in the loft and sound leakage is a big issue. There is really bad echoe in the hallway leading to the second floor. Even when I play quiet music from my phone, it seems be amplified to the point where it's kinda loud from the floor below. Should I focus on soundproofing the hallway or my bedroom? I

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
There is no wat to effectively 'soundproof' rooms in such a situation.

Effective soundproofing requires sustantial construction, way beyond anything you are likely to be able to achieve in a loft or bedroom. Best you can do is to try and work out how the sound is transfering from the bedroom to the hall way, for example, floor mounted speakers vibrating a suspended floor that is, in effect the ceiling for the space below might be the issue.

Try and minimise this transmission by moving or changing your speakers then damp the room as much as possible. Use carpets or rugs and other soft furnishings, if the problem is in the bass region, look at commercially available bass traps. In essence try and stop the energy getting into the structure of the building.

Good luck.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I agree with what Dave says but hard wooden floors are among the worst for transferring sound below. A carpet with a decent underlay will no doubt help. If you can take up the floor easily then you could probably put some sort of sound absorption below the floor and the ceiling below, even if you use mineral fibre thats used in loft insulation that will help. I know of people who have done that with some success. Having moved into a more modern house I may well do the same myself.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Depends a lot on the construction bigH.

If they are simple, suspended joists with a floor on top and a ceiling on the bottom then just filling the gaps really will not help.

The real answer is a floating floor/ceiling arrangement, Ie a concrete slab with a suspended floor on top and a suspended ceiling underneath, does the job admirably but not exactly practical in this case.

We have this arrangement in our west London apartment, there is virtually no sound leakage floor to floor.

TRENDING THREADS