Sound and Vision Bristol

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Just a few lines on what impressed; The Kuro Room and Pioneer Hifi electronics with the company's speakers. Panasonic 65" Plasma. Plinius and Dynaudio dem. Naim's demos including their new Uniti. Exposure demo. Meridian dem.

There was of course a wholotta more but I lost the will to live after 4 hours of listening to the same old boring jazz stuff playing in many rooms plus it was HOT and I repeatedly missed the WH dem of some state of the art HT products. Hifi overload.

One last thing. The room which in my opinion stole the show and a fine advert for how much hifi you can get these days for just a few hundred pounds was Dali's demo of the cheap lectors and some entry level marantz boxes. Not on Audio Research etc level but good sound and worth every penny. I think a few exhibitors could have had reasons to be envious though it would be unfair to single anybody out for lacklustre sonics in such compromised surroundings.

Messiah

drummerman:
Just a few lines on what impressed; The Kuro Room and Pioneer Hifi electronics with the company's speakers. Panasonic 65" Plasma. Plinius and Dynaudio dem. Naim's demos including their new Uniti. Exposure demo. Meridian dem.

Did you hear the Naim on the 10th floor?? I was a bit annoyed with this as I managed to get up to the 10th floor to be told I had to go all the way back down to get a ticket for the dem....grrrrr.....

The Kuro room was good. It's a shame such amazing displays are on their way......

Master and Commander sounded very good on the Pioneer system but where would you fit those speakers!???

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Messiah:drummerman:

Did you hear the Naim on the 10th floor?? I was a bit annoyed with this as I managed to get up to the 10th floor to be told I had to go all the way back down to get a ticket for the dem....grrrrr.....

The Kuro room was good. It's a shame such amazing displays are on their way......

Master and Commander sounded very good on the Pioneer system but where would you fit those speakers!???

I think it was the tenth floor. Was a bit like russian roulette as I never knew which floor the lift ended up
emotion-2.gif
and I have no great battle plan on how to approach those shows. Enough for another 5 years at least. What makes me laugh is all those very serious looking folks seemingly without a shred of humour, not showing any joy but carrying a ton of catalogues in their respective carrier bags ... .

Anyway, I think I was in two or three Naim rooms, one showing the Uniti or whatever its called to very good effect but lets not forget that the sub on its own was an additional £1500 plus speakers at £2400 or thereabouts, making this in fact a crazily expensive 6k+ system with all the goblins! Still, it sounded good but perhaps not 5k-good. Having said that there were far more expensive set ups that did'nt come close. The other dem involved amongst others the supernait and was involving.

I thought the pioneer speakers complemented their systems very well but yes, they are not exactly house friendly.

I also made a point of visiting the Eclipse room. Apart from looking lovely engineered they sounded fine but once again, I had to scratch my head with regards to the sort of music they choose to play. As close to a near death experience as I want to be.

Loads of good, interesting other stuff but I'm sure the editors here do a much better job at describing them and like I said, 4 hours was enough for me.

A

Anonymous

I quite liked the Naim but also thought the prices pretty steep.

I was impressed by the 103" plasma in the WHF room, though it's practically bigger than my room.

I also agree that the Dali lektors were impressive. I'm really set on floorstanders for whatever reason but at that price I did briefly reconsider...

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
drummerman:ÿOne last thing. The room which in my opinion stole the show and a fine advert for how much hifi you can get these days for just a few hundred pounds was Dali's demo of the cheap lectors and some entry level marantz boxes. Not on Audio Research etc level but good sound and worth every penny.ÿ

Spot on, best thing I heard all day, most useful representative as well, willing to play anything through them, rather than sticking to the same jazz cobblers all day.ÿ

A

Anonymous

After going again today I decided that the Focal Chorus 716V was the most tempting thing in my price range. Pretty neutral, great sounding, attractive, would like to own them.

Actually I was generally impressed by the French offerings, thought the Waterfalls sounded good and that the Cabasse Egea 3 sounded good and was beautiful!

I also liked the Acoustic Energy Radiance, thought it was exciting and involving, though it seems from other more highly hifi types that they're not well-regarded.

Only other thing worth mentioning were the Sennheiser HD 800 headphones, which I thought sounded fantastic. Although in addition to being £1,000 headphones, I understand that they were hooked up to about £16,000 worth of kit.

Oh, and I managed to pick up Wire's Pink Flag and Fairport Convention's Unhalfbricking on vinyl, so that's a bonus.

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
lydgate:
After going again today I decided that the Focal Chorus 716V was the most tempting thing in my price range.ÿ Pretty neutral, great sounding, attractive, would like to own them.

Actually I was generally impressed by the French offerings, thought the Waterfalls sounded good and that the Cabasse Egea 3 sounded good and was beautiful!

I also liked the Acoustic Energy Radiance, thought it was exciting and involving, though it seems from other more highly hifi types that they're not well-regarded.

Only other thing worth mentioning were the Sennheiser HD 800 headphones, which I thought sounded fantastic.ÿ Although in addition to being £1,000 headphones, I understand that they were hooked up to about £16,000 worth of kit.

Oh, and I managed to pick up Wire's Pink Flag and Fairport Convention's Unhalfbricking on vinyl, so that's a bonus.

ÿ

Hi Guys,

ÿ

Cheers for the report on the Radiance Lydgate - exciting and involving was pretty much the remit for the Radiance series! ÿWe found the room a little hard work (as I explained to some at the show) - being almost cube-shaped and having an entire side of glass we were trying to combat both "live" and boomy characteristics at the same time. We ended up with a reasonable sound but definitely could not show the product off to its full capability!

A couple of things I always suggest to people visiting shows - bring your own material (any manufacturer worth their salt, and with confidence in their equipment will allow you a listen) and sit in the main listening spot! It really annoys me to see people walk in the room, stand in the rear corner for ten seconds while you're blasting out "Rage Against the Machine" for some rockers at the front - only to see them sneer in disgust and storm out due to the lack of fidelity! Why not ask for something you prefer to be put on and sit where you're not getting full-on bass boost mixed with harsh room reflections before making your "expert" judgement eh??

At best I'd use these shows as a taster to shortlist anything you'd like to try seriously and then arrange a proper demo with a good local dealer.

ÿ

Out of interest Lydgate - when you say "not well regarded" by hifi types, did you mean the Radiance speakers or AE in general? Just wondering! While we've been busy on the gadget front over the last few years we are now making our move back into the "higher-end" - The AE1se's and Radiance series being the first serious steps. New team and intense long-term developement changes have been in place for the last year with these being the first fruits of our labour!

Cheers for popping in to see us!

ÿ

James Luce

Brand Manager

Acoustic Energy Ltd.ÿ

A

Anonymous

James,

From my experience in attending the Bristol show, I have noted how well AE set-up their systems and how there is always a friendly atmosphere and a welcoming one at that too! You also seem to always get that nasty room right at the end next to the stairs and it mustn't be the easiest work for you with that glass wall! However, when I have gone in the AE room, there never seems to be anyone in there! I don't know whether this was because I wasn't at a peak time or what not, but it may be because of your brand profile.

See, I'm not quite sure - and please people, this is only my opinion! - what sort of market AE aims at; whether you wish to cover all the audio spectrum from gadgetry to high-end or whether you do have several set niches seems to escape me, and I feel this may be the problem. I'm not the most well informed person when it comes to how businesses function (I'm still in my younger years) but this is something which I have noticed over the few years I have been into hi-fi: AE seems to be omniscient in its activities, but never actually achieves any great status in its publicity.

A good example of this would be your website: Your little heading says "british hifi loudspeaker manufacturer using metal cone technology" - but this, I feel, doesn't actually describe you enough as a hi-fi company: Your also a loudspeaker designing company and an advanced technology designer and manufacturer, but also you don't use metal cone technology on all of your drivers, so surely this isn't really a relevant comment? Am I getting this all wrong?

It is quite clear when the site is accessed that you are a loudspeaker company who also branches out into less charted territory, such as with your Bluetooth systems, and the website is well designed and informative, but I am always left with the feeling of not knowing quite enough to persuade me to look into your products.

I think the biggest cause of this, is your lack of advertisement compared to most other competing loudspeaker manafacturers: Dali, KEF, B&W, PMC, Mission, Wharfedale, Spendor and Naim to name a few (no pun intended) - perhaps a few more brochures, leaflets, bigger adverts in magazines and perhaps even branching out into gadget magazines such as T3 and Stuff as I feel this is the kind of market you should be aiming at with your current product range.

Before this starts to sound too much like a business management meeting, I would like to say how much I enjoyed your demo this year and I sadly missed the "Rage Against the Machine" demo, of which I would have loved!

EDITED BY MODS - please keep all discussion within the Forums. If you wish to make a pitch for your consultancy services, please do so directly to the intended client by email.

I will be more than willing to discuss this further!

A

Anonymous

AEJim:
Hi Guys,

Cheers for the report on the Radiance Lydgate - exciting and involving was pretty much the remit for the Radiance series! We found the room a little hard work (as I explained to some at the show) - being almost cube-shaped and having an entire side of glass we were trying to combat both "live" and boomy characteristics at the same time. We ended up with a reasonable sound but definitely could not show the product off to its full capability!

A couple of things I always suggest to people visiting shows - bring your own material (any manufacturer worth their salt, and with confidence in their equipment will allow you a listen) and sit in the main listening spot! It really annoys me to see people walk in the room, stand in the rear corner for ten seconds while you're blasting out "Rage Against the Machine" for some rockers at the front - only to see them sneer in disgust and storm out due to the lack of fidelity! Why not ask for something you prefer to be put on and sit where you're not getting full-on bass boost mixed with harsh room reflections before making your "expert" judgement eh??

At best I'd use these shows as a taster to shortlist anything you'd like to try seriously and then arrange a proper demo with a good local dealer.

Out of interest Lydgate - when you say "not well regarded" by hifi types, did you mean the Radiance speakers or AE in general? Just wondering! While we've been busy on the gadget front over the last few years we are now making our move back into the "higher-end" - The AE1se's and Radiance series being the first serious steps. New team and intense long-term developement changes have been in place for the last year with these being the first fruits of our labour!

Cheers for popping in to see us!

James Luce

Brand Manager

Acoustic Energy Ltd.

Wow, wasn't expecting to get a response from AE! I did take into account the deficiencies of the room when listening to them, and, as you say, I saw the show as a chance to see what I might like to demo further.

Your advice to bring material is very good. I wish I had done so but had a bit too late of a night before heading to Bristol (was lucky just to have made the train!) Plus unfortunately not every room had a turntable and I don't really own any CDs. Luckily I listen to a vast range of genres and will as happily listen to Rage as I will 80s pop, folk, or a symphony.

I'm sorry about the comment about not well-regarded, I made a generalization from a few people I spoke to around the show and a few people at the sales/advice desks. In general they seemed to like the Focals a lot more than the AE. I can't really be more specific than that. People seemed a little down on AE, and without wishing to accuse them unfairly, it seemed a bit more like hifi snobbery than the subjective judgment of the product which of course varies inevitably from ear to ear.

In that sense I think it was against the company and not the speakers, since I don't think everyone I spoke to had even heard the Radiance at the show. Perhaps as you say it's having been working on gadgets for a while. But I'm relatively hifi-naive and thought the speakers sounded terrific, so I hope my comment didn't offend!

matthewpiano

Hughes123:
James,

From my experience in attending the Bristol show, I have noted how well AE set-up their systems and how there is always a friendly atmosphere and a welcoming one at that too! You also seem to always get that nasty room right at the end next to the stairs and it mustn't be the easiest work for you with that glass wall! However, when I have gone in the AE room, there never seems to be anyone in there! I don't know whether this was because I wasn't at a peak time or what not, but it may be because of your brand profile.

See, I'm not quite sure - and please people, this is only my opinion! - what sort of market AE aims at; whether you wish to cover all the audio spectrum from gadgetry to high-end or whether you do have several set niches seems to escape me, and I feel this may be the problem. I'm not the most well informed person when it comes to how businesses function (I'm still in my younger years) but this is something which I have noticed over the few years I have been into hi-fi: AE seems to be omniscient in its activities, but never actually achieves any great status in its publicity.

A good example of this would be your website: Your little heading says "british hifi loudspeaker manufacturer using metal cone technology" - but this, I feel, doesn't actually describe you enough as a hi-fi company: Your also a loudspeaker designing company and an advanced technology designer and manufacturer, but also you don't use metal cone technology on all of your drivers, so surely this isn't really a relevant comment? Am I getting this all wrong?

It is quite clear when the site is accessed that you are a loudspeaker company who also branches out into less charted territory, such as with your Bluetooth systems, and the website is well designed and informative, but I am always left with the feeling of not knowing quite enough to persuade me to look into your products.

I think the biggest cause of this, is your lack of advertisement compared to most other competing loudspeaker manafacturers: Dali, KEF, B&W, PMC, Mission, Wharfedale, Spendor and Naim to name a few (no pun intended) - perhaps a few more brochures, leaflets, bigger adverts in magazines and perhaps even branching out into gadget magazines such as T3 and Stuff as I feel this is the kind of market you should be aiming at with your current product range.

Before this starts to sound too much like a business management meeting, I would like to say how much I enjoyed your demo this year and I sadly missed the "Rage Against the Machine" demo, of which I would have loved!

EDITED BY MODS - please keep all discussion within the Forums. If you wish to make a pitch for your consultancy services, please do so directly to the intended client by email.

You quite clearly don't understand how prohibitively expensive all this glossy advertising is and that businesses are working to tight margins and balancing their budget across R&D, manufacturing, advertising, administration, sales etc. etc. Your 'advice' is not ground breaking or new in any sense and I'm sure AE would love to advertise more widely. You are also making these suggestions with absolutely no knowledge of the direction in which AE intend to take their product ranges or their long term strategies.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Hughes123:
James,

A bit out of order Jack.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
AEJim:At best I'd use these shows as a taster to shortlist anything you'd like to try seriously and then arrange a proper demo with a good local dealer.

This is just it. I'm afraid I think your gripes are just down to the nature of these shows. You're right, some will request music that will make others sniff, but a manufacturer ought to be brave enough to play it (or perhaps be brave enough to say "sorry, it'll sound rubbish, thats not what we made them for..."). You can't have it both ways.

And people cant always hang around to make sure the seating position they want comes available.

A

Anonymous

What HIFI Gave a fantastic review of the AEIIIs aswell as the older model of their speakers. Im excited to hear them, once I can afford them :)

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
al7478:
AEJim:At best I'd use these shows as a taster to shortlist anything you'd like to try seriously and then arrange a proper demo with a good local dealer.

This is just it. I'm afraid I think your gripes are just down to the nature of these shows. You're right, some will request music that will make others sniff, but a manufacturer ought to be brave enough to play it (or perhaps be brave enough to say "sorry, it'll sound rubbish, thats not what we made them for..."). You can't have it both ways.

And people cant always hang around to make sure the seating position they want comes available.

Hi again guys, (my apologies to the OP as I seem to have hijacked your thread somewhat!)ÿ

I think you're absolutely right Al, I've always been keen to play anything the listener wants, we try to bring a reasonable selection with us, even better when people bring their own material - but this does count against you sometimes.

One of the complaints I've read quite often about Hi-Fi shows is all of the "tinkly piano Jazz" being played in the rooms, this is understandable as using very well recorded, simple material is a very easy way to show off your product - to me it's too easy though, this sort of music will sound good on pretty much anything! I see it as a cop-out, it's not what the majority listen to.

The downside of offering choice is that some people bring the most awful material and scare everyone else away - I remember a particularly painful show where we had AE1mkIII's on the back of a 10k system and a couple of hairy biker-types (lovely, enthusiastic guys to be fair) asked me to put on a CDR so I had no idea what to expect - I pressed play and Europe's "The Final Countdown" poured forth in all its glory, the room cleared, tumbleweeds blew past in the corridor but they wanted to listen to the whole track... I swear it was a super-extended 40 minute cut, at least it felt like it. I'm not against old rock but that track sounded as flat and compressed as a proverbial pancake (oh yeah, it's pancake day! Joy!).

So you sometimes are punished for being accommodating but we will continue to do it and we will still have some turn their noses up for "our" lack of taste, each to their own and you'll never please everybody! The only thing that annoys me is the looks of absolute disgust you receive from some, to be honest I'd rather not have those types of customers in any case!ÿ

ÿ

To Hughes and the subsequent posters -

You're all absolutely right!ÿ

We have been quiet, we have been lacking focus for a few years and I can explain it all! (I try to be brief but I do tend to get on a roll when typing so bear with me...)

Basically until 2002 or thereabouts we were very much a Hi-Fi company, we had products ranging from £150 to £8000 - all stereo speakers. Around that time our MD (the last of the original trio of founders) decided he'd start thinking about retirement and began offloading responsibility for company direction to our head of sales. Under pressure to show that he could move the company forwards he decided to try and get us into more stores, more magazines and generally a wider market. As his direction took hold we started to innovate with our new products to get coverage (world's first Internet Wi-Fi radio, first Bluetooth speakers etc...) - the issue being that this is Sony territory and we really don't want to get in a battle with those kinds of multi-billion $ corporations! All the while we contined to produce the Hi-Fi but with our relatively small team there was the inevitable stretching of resources, we still made very respectable 5* product but in hindsight it didn't quite have the correct market in mind.

The Neo range is a good example of where we got to - they sounded great, looked, well, bland if I'm being kind! Our engineers all came from the Pro industry and looks were not really a major consideration, this was not so much of a problem in the mid-90's when Hi-Fi was still very much an enthusiast only area, but nowadays it's becoming more and more part of the modern home and it has to fit in aesthetically.

The products were as well engineered and built as any, they were still innovative (those neodynium drivers were a first at the price and are still rare in all but high-end speakers) but somehow we hid all that behind the dullest styling and cheap-looking vinyl wrap. A good example is when we took a close look at some of our competition and realised one very popular brand were using plastic chassis on their drivers - you could bend them with your hand! But they looked pretty, were painted like metal and stamped with logo's, our high-quality die-cast chassis was hidden behind matte black paint... Those Neo drivers also weighed very little compared to old-fashioned, heavy ferrite magnets - this made the speakers actually feel cheaper when you picked them up due to their light weight, something we hadn't considered until one of our distributors told us so!

ÿ

Fast-forward to today and we've changed a lot of things at AE, those Pro engineers have been moved to our new Pro division where they are in their element! The AE22's have been very well received and are being used in some top studio's already (some very big albums have already been mixed on them!) and we have an active Pro Sub/Sat system literally just in - actually this may even be of interest to the WHF team since they liked the 22's so much!

Our main AE brand is now my department, with our own R&D team (I've been with AE for 8 or 9 years now as Marketing, Tech Support and 3.5 years on the road as National Accounts Manager so I know the market pretty well), we've been in position for just over a year and the first fruits of our labour were the AE1mkIII SE's (what a mouthful!), these have been very well reviewed at £2.5k in about half a dozen publications now (including WHF as mentioned by a previous poster) with numerous comments about them being one of the finest compact speakers on the planet! This was our indication that we're back to being serious about real Hi-Fi and this will be our direction for the near future.

The Radiance Series are our first completely new products with this team, in total they've been about 3 years in development - Our young and enthusiastic head of R&D has been perfecting the metal-cone driver during this time and looking for solutions to get the best from our favoured ring-radiator tweeter. There is much new technology in the Radiance but I only ever had one goal with them - to recreate music! And by that I mean they MUST be enjoyable to listen to, they MUST get your foot tapping! They tick all the "Hi-Fi" boxes, and in our opinion do so better than anything anywhere near the price, but one of my strictest tests in listening was to get all the guys from the office in one by one and get them to play their own CD's (we really do need to get a turntable!) - I watched them from the back of the room and if their feet were still and there heads weren't bobbing then I wasn't happy!

ÿ

I've already written War and Peace now it seems so I'd better wrap up, I just wanted to explain where we're at and why we've been quiet. We have been putting all our resources into the new products and direction, the Radiance will be a new entry level for us, the next product you'll see from us will be higher end. We are just now starting to go back to our roots and I hope it means us yet-again raising the bar as we did with the original AE1 back in 1987!

I could go on about the development process more, how we listened to dozens of capacitors over the course of months shut in our listening room - desperate to create the shortest possible signal paths with the highest grade components (and it's not always the most expensive that sound best! You can't always just throw money at problems!!), how we've removed all the resistors from our crossover networks, the benefits of the DXT© lens (and how we hadn't ever thought to ask the company who made it for us what "DXT" actually stands for - much to our embarrassment when Ketan from WHF asked us as we dropped the speakers in a couple of weeks back! - "Diffraction eXpansion Technology" for those who care ;))... But I think I'd be waffling... ;)

I've not been too active on the forums so I'll pay more attention and happily answer any questions I can in future, hopefully more concisely than I've done here!

Cheers,

ÿ

ÿ

James Luce

Brand Manager

Acoustic Energy Ltd.ÿ

A

Anonymous

So refreshing to see the top guys of hi fi companies coming on these forums to post their interesting discussion points regarding their own companies.

Well done James of Acoustic Energy for taking time out to respond, look forward to listening to your new high end speakers and nice to see your goals are back in the real music listening world, hi fi if you want to call it that.

I can see with your attitudes you will soon be back up there with the likes of pmc,spendor,proac,b+w,kef, etc, etc.

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Oh, just one more quickie -

ÿ

Quote - "I'm sorry about the comment about not well-regarded, I made a generalization from a few people I spoke to around the show and a few people at the sales/advice desks.ÿ In general they seemed to like the Focals a lot more than the AE.ÿ I can't really be more specific than that.ÿ People seemed a little down on AE, and without wishing to accuse them unfairly, it seemed a bit more like hifi snobbery than the subjective judgment of the product which of course varies inevitably from ear to ear."

ÿ

You should lways take anyone elses opinion with a pinch of salt (especially those with an agenda), listen for yourself and you will ALWAYS be right, it's a subjective business we're in so what an individual likes is what is right for them! The Audio-T/X staff are good guys but do remember they all stock Focal and not AE at present - this could be seen in two ways - they have a bias to sell what they have in stock OR, more likely, they are simply more familiar with the current Focal range than the AE product! (I think this is the case, I know the staff well enough to know that they are enthusiastic about the brands they stock and you can't blame them for that!)

It has been known for people to be unscrupulous though - I remember a customer after some of our Evo speakers calling me in the office as he wanted to buy some - but his local (insert large national Hi-Fi chain here) store manager said he wasn't impressed with them at all, said they were awful in-fact and that he'd be much better off buying (insert whatever brand he had most stock of here). I told the customer that was odd as I was the national rep, the speakers had only been out a short while and not been shown at a hi-fi show and when I had called that particular store to arrange a demo he said they had plenty of speakers and didn't need another range. He'd never heard them. Needless to say I crossed them off my list!

It's the same with reviews, magazines try hard to be unbiased but you will notice each publication has different favoured brands, this doesn't mean there is anything dodgy going on - just that particular reviewers have particular tastes and that in all likelyhood one brand may work well in their room on their reference system while another may not. It's tough when everything is subjective! (and to be honest a nightmare for manufacturers!) We test as much as we can internally to make the best product - I personally take final prototypes to half a dozen local dealers for feedback and only release when we are all happy, but when you put product out for review you just have to cross your fingers and hope! With our lack of expenditure on advertising in the past 12 months I have actually been threatened by an advertising salesperson from one magazine that it may affect our reviews! (certainly not WHF for the record, they have separate teams for both departments and in my experience they hardly even communicate with each other!)

On the point of advertising (directed at "Hughes") - We will most likely be advertising again properly soon (if anything just to avoid the few dozen sales calls I get each day ;)) to raise the brand profile and it is in the plan to re-work the website over the next few weeks to aid clarity, it is a bit messy to navigate at present!

Cheers,

ÿ

James Luce

Brand Manager

Acoustic Energy Ltd.ÿ

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
robborollover:
So refreshing to see the top guys of hi fi companiesÿcoming on these forums toÿpost their interesting discussionÿpointsÿregarding their own companies.

Well done James of Acoustic Energy for taking time out to respond, look forward to listening to your new high end speakers and nice to see your goals are back in the realÿmusic listening world, hi fi if you want to call it that.

I can see with your attitudes you will soon beÿback up there with the likes of pmc,spendor,proac,b+w,kef, etc, etc.ÿÿÿÿ

ÿ

Thank you!

(I do actually quite like to keep in touch with the outside world - when I have the time! Post-show week is always a quiet one!)

Cheers,

ÿ

James Luce

Brand Manager

Acoustic Energy Ltd.ÿ

sometimesuk

Sep 25, 2008
Visit site
I went to the hifi show for the first time in 6 years. I generally thoroughly enjoyed it, but was surprised it wasn't busier for a Saturday.

A few points of note.

I took my farther, uncle and a mate along with me, who are interested in hifi but not overly. They all picked up on the earlier comment made, of all the "unknown demonstration" music that was played and how it doesn't give them an idea what the system sounds like. "Why don't they just play some Queen!". As it happens I brought CD's with me, but left them in the car!

I didn't notice as much from my last visit, but for certain companies, Chord Electronics and Naim, it seems thier M.D's were down to promote their products which I thought were good.

I did manage to get a ticket to see the Naim demonstration on the 10th floor, after going back down to the Ground Floor to get a ticket. It was the most effective demonstration showing the benefits of proper hifi and the benefits of power suppliers and DAC's etc .

I am surprised not much has been said / picked up on the new Naim DAC in development. I was very impressed by the demonstration of this prototype. One thing that does annoy me with naim, is the cost of its equipment, particularly the HDX. I think they need to do a lot more to demonstrate that their products are competitive in the market place at their normal retail price, without spending thousands on an external power supply. People just say, is it because the product isn't designed good enough in the first place. I know that the P.S makes a difference, but its hard to justify the extra cost.

Overall, I thought the KEF home cinema demonstration in the basement had the best sound.

Its just a shame that it seems you need to spend about £3-4k per component for a decent mid-hifi setup nowadays, with the price of equipment increasing.

A

Anonymous

AEJim:Thank you!

(I do actually quite like to keep in touch with the outside world - when I have the time! Post-show week is always a quiet one!)

Cheers,

James Luce

Brand Manager

Acoustic Energy Ltd.

It's obvious you care about your job and the company and its direction as well as your products. Thanks for the insight!

(something I can kind of relate to - although a little more modesly)

All the best for the future!

(btw, I did go into your "cubic" room at the Show too, I didn't stay too long. Can say why. May have been too crowded, hot or didn't like the sound of what was being played. I'll make sure I read up on your speakers for when I'm ready to upgrade)

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
AEJim:al7478:

I remember a particularly painful show where we had AE1mkIII's on the back of a 10k system and a couple of hairy biker-types (lovely, enthusiastic guys to be fair) asked me to put on a CDR so I had no idea what to expect - I pressed play and Europe's "The Final Countdown" poured forth in all its glory, the room cleared, tumbleweeds blew past in the corridor but they wanted to listen to the whole track... I swear it was a super-extended 40 minute cut, at least it felt like it. I'm not against old rock but that track sounded as flat and compressed as a proverbial pancake (oh yeah, it's pancake day! Joy!).

...to be honest I'd rather not have those types of customers in any case!

Hilarious anecdotes and testicular fortitiude.

I'll remmeber AE next time I'm auditioning now
emotion-2.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts