sorry! hdmi leads again

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Ginder:smithdom:

I think shreddy summed it up quite nicely.

I can't help feeling that there must be equipment available that can objectively analyse the signal going in one end of a cable and compare it with the signal coming out of the other end. Maybe someone with an electronics engineering background would care to comment?

This video compares cheap vs expensive, watch it at about 5mins and 30 seconds where they take the cables to a hd expert.

What video?

Turned into upper/lower case for obvious house-rules related reasons
emotion-5.gif
- Mods

A

Anonymous

Murg sorry you have had to put up with these grumpy old farts who moan and think they own this site!

Feel free to ask what you like mate! This is supposed to be a place for help and advice!

Good for you for asking your question so dont be put off :)

A

Anonymous

matt41:Ginder:smithdom:

I think shreddy summed it up quite nicely.

I can't help feeling that there must be equipment available that can objectively analyse the signal going in one end of a cable and compare it with the signal coming out of the other end. Maybe someone with an electronics engineering background would care to comment?

This video compares cheap vs expensive, watch it at about 5mins and 30 seconds where they take the cables to a hd expert.

What video?

Turned into upper/lower case for obvious house-rules related reasons
emotion-5.gif
- Mods

LOL this video..the guys not a hd expert but a production engineer if that makes a difference:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tIf8HLZK6a8&feature=related

A

Anonymous

Ginder:http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tIf8HLZK6a8&feature=related

Thanks for the link Ginder. This really seems to set the cat among the pigeons. I look forward to hearing any arguments as to why the test conducted in the video, and the conclusions reached, are flawed. As a regular consumer without any special technical expertise I am persuaded by the video.

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:Sigh... how did I know it was going to be Monster cable (see previous comments in this thread).

Clare, are you suggesting the the results and conclusions for this video might have different if any premium brand cable other than Monster had been the subject of comparison?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
No, it's just that this video has been knocking around for a getting on for a year now, and just keeps on resurfacing.

Someone will bring up the Amazing Randi any minute now...

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:No, it's just that this video has been knocking around for a getting on for a year now, and just keeps on resurfacing.

That may be so, but I hadn't seen it before. The age of the video is not a compelling argument against the conclusions reached. I'm very receptive to cogent arguments explaining why the methods used in the video, and the conclusions reached, are flawed.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
smithdom:
Clare Newsome:Sigh... how did I know it was going to be Monster cable (see previous comments in this thread).

Clare, are you suggesting the the results and conclusions for this video might have different if any premium brand cable other than Monster had been the subject of comparison?

Page two of this thread, near the bottom....

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:Page two of this thread, near the bottom....

OK, re-read that. I think the fact that the video picks on a Monster cable is a distraction. It is the method used to compare cables that is interesting (the admittedly somewhat chaotic user test, and the more scientific test with instruments). If the video picked on, say, the van den Hul Flat and reached the same conclusions what arguments would people put up to explain why those conclusions were flawed?

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:But the fact remains that the video didn't pick a highly rated cable - just a popular one. Not the same thing....

But do you think the test method is valid? If not why not, and how does the test method used by WHF differ?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
smithdom:
Clare Newsome:But the fact remains that the video didn't pick a highly rated cable - just a popular one. Not the same thing....

But do you think the test method is valid? If not why not, and how does the test method used by WHF differ?

We use blind ABX testing methodology for cables, with a team of testers, and using different sources and displays (flatscreen up to projector).

We're also in an environment where people truly call it as they see it (or not) - I truly don't think you can say the same about a bunch of blokes watching a brief singular A/B over football (if they'd been asked to anonymously write their verdict down on a checklist, i'd have been at least a little more convinced of its validity - then there's be no fear of saying they did/didn't see a difference: the peer pressure is gone). The agenda of the show was obviously also set from the start, which has yet more influence.

And all of this is without even beginning to discuss the potential sonic differences between HDMI cables - which this report doesn't even begin to investigate or consider. Or indeed the different behaviour over different lengths of cable.

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:We use blind ABX testing methodology for cables, with a team of testers, and using different sources and displays (flatscreen up to projector).
We're also in an environment where people truly call it as they see it (or not) - I truly don't think you can say the same about a bunch of blokes watching a brief singular A/B over football (if they'd been asked to anonymously write their verdict down on a checklist, i'd have been at least a little more convinced of its validity - then there's be no fear of saying they did/didn't see a difference: the peer pressure is gone). The agenda of the show was obviously also set from the start, which has yet more influence.

And all of this is without even beginning to discuss the potential sonic differences between HDMI cables - which this report doesn't even begin to investigate or consider. Or indeed the different behaviour over different lengths of cable.

A good answer. I did say that the user test part of the video was somewhat chaotic, you just said it better. What about using instrumentation to compare signal in to signal out? I accept what you say about the video having an agenda from the outset, but do you think signal comparison is a valid test?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
My feelings on technical measurement of this kind are well known - it's showing you something, but who knows how that actually translates into perceivable sound and vision? For instance, a test could tell you that a TV was on, and showing 1080p video - still wouldn't tell you what it actually looked like, though.

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site

Yippee! What HiFi are helping to make the 1000EX and M1000HD even cheaper!

A

Anonymous

festa:

hi,i still dont know if my lead is 1.1 or 1.3????

Why do you need to know this?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts