Sorely tempted

Drummerdave

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
There is a Kimber Crystal CU available online for about half the rrp. I’m tempted to take the plunge but it has a 11dB attenuation – can anyone please explain exactly what this means and what effect it could have?

Cheers. DD

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Go on, buy it! You know you want to...
emotion-14.gif
Don't you dare buy it, young man - you'll live to regret it...!
emotion-13.gif

The attentuation means it reduces the signal coming down the cable, so you can then turn the amp it's feeding up higher, thus theoretically avoiding any noise or slight channel imbalance at lower volume settings.

See also Rothwell Attenuators

Drummerdave

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
Go on, buy it! You know you want to...
emotion-14.gif
Don't you dare buy it, young man - you'll live to regret it...!
emotion-13.gif

The attentuation means it reduces the signal coming down the cable, so you can then turn the amp it's feeding up higher, thus theoretically avoiding any noise or slight channel imbalance at lower volume settings.

See also Rothwell Attenuators

Thanks Andrew - now I think I know what it does but don't know what to do about it.

"young man"...gee I'm flattered.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Drummerdave:

"young man"...gee I'm flattered.

In 'devil on shoulder/angel on the other' terms, the devil always sounds like a 1920s Chicago gangster, and the angel always addresses people, in grandmotherly tones. as 'young man'. Unless they're a woman, of course.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Drummerdave:There is a Kimber Crystal CU available online for about half the rrp. I'm tempted to take the plunge but it has a 11dB attenuation - can anyone please explain exactly what this means and what effect it could have?

Cheers. DD

I saw that too. Go for it.

:)

Drummerdave

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
Big Chris:Drummerdave:There is a Kimber Crystal CU available online for about half the rrp. I'm tempted to take the plunge but it has a 11dB attenuation - can anyone please explain exactly what this means and what effect it could have?

Cheers. DD

I saw that too. Go for it.

:)

Just did mate.

Hopefully will be here for the weekend.

A

Anonymous

all i can say is that my crystal-AG is attenuated and it sounds magical!;-)

Drummerdave

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
Big Chris:Got it yet Dave?

Yes Chris, hooked it up over the weekend. Initially underwhelmed but then on Saturday night sat down and had a proper listen, at decent volume, and the soundstage has opened right up and it all sounds detailed and punchy. Think I'm only now staring to hear what my system is capable of, and it seems to work with different kinds of music (well the kinds I listen to most anyway). Very pleased with my purchase :)

Now I'm looking at suitable speaker cable to complete the upgrade - hence my other posts re Atlas etc. The Atlas Hyper 2.0 can be bought for a reasonable discount at the moment but the Kimber 4TC is very tempting..... Really should listen to all these cables before buying. Think Kimber do a money back deal anyhow.

Edit - Yikes - just ordered some Kimber 4TC - comes with 60 day trial period - must cut up that credit card now.....

A

Anonymous

Have had Kimber 4TC for 21 years now and have been really happy with it on all my systems. Still going strong on my current set up!

Have in the past used it internally in the speaker wiring, link wire between Cyrus 6/PSX, internal mains feed to transformers on Meridian 207 as well.

Noticeable improvements. I very much doubt it will be returning to Russ Andrews in 60 days!

Enjoy

Drummerdave

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
trevor79:Have had Kimber 4TC for 21 years now and have been really happy with it on all my systems. Still going strong on my current set up!

Have in the past used it internally in the speaker wiring, link wire between Cyrus 6/PSX, internal mains feed to transformers on Meridian 207 as well.

Noticeable improvements. I very much doubt it will be returning to Russ Andrews in 60 days!

Enjoy

Cheers Trevor - yes I think it'll be staying right where it is for the foreseeable...

Main difference is -

Before cable upgrade - used to put cds on and constantly think that doesn't sound as good as it should and as a consequence not listen to the whole cd (or even song)
After cable upgrade - find it very hard to drag myself away from the hifi now, whether it's cd or vinyl - can't get enough.

Drummerdave

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
Cable update. After setting up my Caiman / Airport Express and trying different cables I've come to the conclusion that the KImber has been strangling the sound of my system for the last two years. Not sure if it was the attenuation or lack of system synergy but I played a cd with my old CA Pacific cable connected to the amp and it's much, much better than the Kimber. Lively, energetic sound with loads of bass that was previously lacking. I've now got some Silver High Breed Q's going from DAC to amp and the Kimber retired from active service.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Drummerdave said:
Cable update. After setting up my Caiman / Airport Express and trying different cables I've come to the conclusion that the KImber has been strangling the sound of my system for the last two years. Not sure if it was the attenuation or lack of system synergy but I played a cd with my old CA Pacific cable connected to the amp and it's much, much better than the Kimber. Lively, energetic sound with loads of bass that was previously lacking. I've now got some Silver High Breed Q's going from DAC to amp and the Kimber retired from active service.

Nice one, Dave. The Q's are all you'll ever need.

A

Anonymous

Great to hear about successes with cables. Hope you continue to enjoy your investment and it sounds like you got a bargain too. I was going to mention Missing Link cables (with a try before you buy option) but you've already pulled the trigger. All hail the devil!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts