Analogue trying to convert to digital

Analogue guy

Dec 26, 2022
Visit site
Hi Guys,
I guess you could call me an ignorant dinosaur. I assume I'm the same as most on this forum in that a love of sound quality of any music is important.
I have a fully analogue set up, (probably laughable these days), bought way beyond my means in the 1970's / 80's, but I was happy with it, and still am from a sound quality point of view.
My problem is I am now realising I can't afford to keep buying new music in an analogue format.
I have a Mitchel Engineering Turntable, a Nakamichi cassette deck, a 100w amp and a latterly (1980's) bought 11 channel (per side) equaliser because of feedback off the timber floor
I get that this is all ancient, but the sound quality is exactly what I want.
Can anyone explain how I can feed modern options of digital music into this setup,
Back in the 1990's loads of comment were about loss of quality in digital, and I get that, but there comes a point when I'd rather listen to stuff through a decent amp / speakers than listen through a laptop speaker and cringe.
I don't know where to go from here, I don't know if there is a "box" that connects a laptop to a stack, and I don't understand how I could connect this "magical" box to my stack.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you if you spared the time to read this.

It sounds like you need a streamer - select your source of new digital music, which it will stream, decode to analogue and you simply use spare line in sockets on your amp.

I'll move this thread to the appropriate sub-forum - you are likely to get more response there.

nads

You could always just run a cable from laptop to amp.

to get started.

then there are many boxes that you could connect to the amp that will allow you to access music from where you want. Many of these can be controlled by apps on your phone/tablet, presuming you have one. Others that can work with a remote control.

you really are opening yourself to a very big world.

as with many things I would pop into a few HiFi stores. And ask about streamers. Then you can see what May best suit your wants.

Reactions: Al ears

Analogue guy

Dec 26, 2022
Visit site
Thanks for the above replies.
As you probably guess, I'm way out of touch with modern technology.
Yes, it seems like I need a streamer + a few cables.
A straight forward search seems to point towards a Bluesound Node at £450 that is in my budget.
The next level up seems to suggest either the Cambridge Audio CXNv2 at £700 or the Arcam ST60 at £1000.
Any opinions on whether stretching my budget to possibly double would give that much sound improvement?
Hard wiring my laptop is not a realistic option, and although I fully intend to visit and buy from a reputable Hi-Fi dealer I would like to narrow down my options before travelling as that will be a 40 mile trek to a town that is a no-go for cars (Cambridge)

nads

I have a Node it works well.

presume you have a phone or tablet to control it from?

it also has inputs that will also you to add other modern devices. Wired or bluetooth. It will also stream to your headphones and other not wired speakers…… so will do much more than you currently want.

Analogue guy

Dec 26, 2022
Visit site
I have a Node it works well.

presume you have a phone or tablet to control it from?

it also has inputs that will also you to add other modern devices. Wired or bluetooth. It will also stream to your headphones and other not wired speakers…… so will do much more than you currently want.
I'm starting to realise how much of a philistine I am. I have a company phone (not an option) and a laptop. I assumed I could control it from the box.

nads

I'm starting to realise how much of a philistine I am. I have a company phone (not an option) and a laptop. I assumed I could control it from the box.
It does have controls on the top. You can get a remote for it. And you can add the app to your computer as well.

but you will needed to see whatever “box“ you go for how they are controlled. But you can pick up a WiFi only iPad a few generations back for not much money.

just about every streamer available now will work better with the associated software on a mobile device. In that most people have them and they are on and with them most of the time. While the PC/Laptop app requires you to turn it on and be with it….

when at the dealers ask the questions. And if you have more ask here and someone will have info.

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS