Sonys BDP-S380 and Receiver STR-DG820 - digital coaxial question

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
What benefits will adding a digital coaxial between a Sony Blu Ray BDP-S380 and Receiver STR-DG820 give me over just the HDMI?

Not wanting to get into the coaxial/optical debate! Has to be coax as I believe 380 no longer has optical, plus optical input already being used on receiver by sky! Just a general question for what sorts of sounds work better and why. I can hear the difference on my sky box with/without the optical, but can't put my finger on what it is.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
No advantage whatsoever: indeed, the optical digital connection can only carry standard quality Dolby Digital/DTS audio from the BD player, whereas the HDMI carries the HD versions. So really no reason to bother.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
dirtyleeds said:
What benefits will adding a digital coaxial between a Sony Blu Ray BDP-S380 and Receiver STR-DG820 give me over just the HDMI?

Not wanting to get into the coaxial/optical debate! Has to be coax as I believe 380 no longer has optical, plus optical input already being used on receiver by sky! Just a general question for what sorts of sounds work better and why. I can hear the difference on my sky box with/without the optical, but can't put my finger on what it is.

This is because Sky doesn't give Dolby Digital 5.1 over HDMI, it only offers it over optical, so you don't really need the HDMI connection, unless you want the amp to upscale the picture.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts