SONY STRDA2400ES av receiver or the SONY STRDH800

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi newby to this,

I wonder if can anybody help I have read the reviews on these av machine and are both in my price range and sound good.

I have a samsung lcd 40inch 1080i with a xbox360, playstation 3, hd-dvd player all connected to my lcd through hdmi and connected to a budget sony av receiver with mini disc player, cd player all sony all from richersounds over the years.

The question is it worth me buying STRDA2400 when the 360, ps3, and hd-dvd player all out put at the highest resolution 1080i. straight to the lcd. Or should i go for the cheeper STRDH800 which doesn't upscale and is there ports at the back to plug my md player?

Also I am thinking up grading my eltax surround sound for kefs. What do you think?

I also want to play mp3 on my cd player but want to keep to the same brand sony. Does anybody know of any?

wireman

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Hi chaggs1 - I think you're on the wrong forum... this one's for 'old-school' hi-fi rather than 'trendy' home cinema. You might want to re-post your question again over on the home cinema forum where there are plenty of contributors familiar with Sony AV receivers, KEF speaker packages, xboxes, HDMI upscaling and home cinema set-ups in general.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
chaggs1:The question is it worth me buying STRDA2400 when the 360, ps3, and hd-dvd player all out put at the highest resolution 1080i. straight to the lcd. Or should i go for the cheeper STRDH800 which doesn't upscale and is there ports at the back to plug my md player?

Well, I'd be pretty sure there's more to the STR-DA2400 over the STR-DH800 than just upscaling - sure, it sounds like you don't really need the upscaling part, but it's very possible the 2400 sounds quite a lot better than the 800 (though I haven't heard them personally so would suggest an audition to determine this). It's also worth noting the 2400 offers analogue upconversion, meaning you can plug your Xbox into the amp via component and it will output the video via the HDMI. The 800 can't do this meaning you either have to run the component direct into the TV or you could plug into the amp to allow the all-in-one switching, but you would have to run both an HDMI and a component lead from the amp to the TV.

For connections, you really need two HDMI inputs (one for PS3 and one for HD-DVD) and two optical inputs (one for Xbox 360 and one for MD player) - both amps can do this so no issues there.

Andy Madden

Staff member
Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Just thought that i'd chip in and confirm that the '2400ES is definitely a step-up in terms of sound quality. The 'DH800 is a great little entry-level amp tho... I don't want to confuse matters, but there's also the Denon AVR-1910 to consider too...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts